The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
HiEyeAmChris

Clutch Trouble - Advice Desperately Needed

Hey ya'll. My 1970 has the Muncie SM465 (this is what the previous owner told me. I don't know how to verify so any tips on that would help). I'm going to say I'm fairly mechanically inclined and I can do quite a bit myself but am limited by tools and intimate know how. This is my daily driver.

Up to the point things started to go wrong everything was working well. Long story short - the clutch pedal began needing to be pressed harder and harder and felt like it had less and less play. Shifting became difficult and he'd try to move forward when started in gear. Then shifting into second I heard and felt a loud pop and the pedal sank to the floor. I took a look and could see the pivot stud that mates the z-bar to the frame had sheared off. I took the linkage apart and tried to manually move the clutch fork with a pry bar - it only moved about a half inch backwards and was completely slack moving forward. The clutch didn't seem to want to disengage which I had a hunch was why the linkage had snapped. I needed it fixed quickly so I took him to a local shop to have them repair the linkage and inspect the clutch. They fixed it and assured everything was working great. And it was - the clutch never felt so good and the gearbox shifted silky smooth... For about two weeks.

Now I'm back to the same story. The linkage is still in tact but the clutch pedal has essentially no play. I was able to start and drive it in third to get it home. It doesn't want to come out of gear. My research says that it's likely the clutch fork being bent inside the bell housing. Does this sound correct? Also since everything else seemed to be working well enough is this the only component I should worry about replacing at this time?

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Name:  20140410_154300.jpg
Views: 2082
Size:  32.5 KB

Name:  20140410_160357.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  67.4 KB

Name:  20140410_160300.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  60.1 KB

Name:  20140410_160807.jpg
Views: 1121