The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2014, 01:54 AM   #1
Nitis

72s with yellow 525 paint schemes

Looking for more pictures of different paint schemes using yellow 525. So far as I can tell 525 was only available in 72(maybe later but irrelevant)

My truck is solid all yellow and when I do eventually re do the body and paint at the very least I want a white cab. My truck has no moulding either. And I am not opposed to adding some.

I eventually want to end up with an original to model year or era paint scheme not specifically original tommy truck.
Attached Images

Nitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:03 AM   #2
SS Tim

Re: 72s with yellow 525 paint schemes

The 525 light yellow paint ran from 70-72. In 72 it would be correct as an overall solid paint (code 525), a conventional two-tone with a white roof (code 545) or deluxe two-tone white roof and white between the upper and lower bodyside moldings (code 464).

Last edited by SS Tim; 04-11-2014 at 03:44 AM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:05 AM   #3
SS Tim

These are the two 1972 pickup paint schemes. Also a rarely seen code 576 custom two-tone of 525 Light Yellow and 504 Med Olive Poly.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 02-15-2015 at 06:07 AM. Reason: clarified 576 description
Old 04-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
Nitis

Would there have been a paint scheme where let's say white cab the rest yellow and just the upper moulding on a 72? For some reason I have that stuck in my head that I may want that.

Or a white cab the rest yellow with no mouldings?
Old 04-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
SS Tim

Sounds like you are not too sure about factory bodyside molding usage.
The build option D99 (will not be on the SPID most of the time) is the generic Two-Tone code and includes the cab paint divider trim instillation.

B85 is the upper bodyside or belt molding and only required for the Deluxe Two-Tone paint but could be ordered as a stand alone option on a solid paint or Convention Two-Tone paint truck. In fact "belt only" was part of the Highlander "Promo Packages" A, B or C.

BX2 lower bodyside molding was also required for the Deluxe Two-Tone but could be ordered as a stand alone option when not included as part of a trim option.

Any factory Two-Tone truck will have the cab divider trim.

Read up more on moldings here.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6578876

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6192973
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 04-11-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
Nitis

So it sounds like what I want is conventional two tone. So white cab and the rest yellow. Which I'll need the d99 divider.

Would that as a stand alone be appropriate to era?

And if I decided to add just the upper b85 would that make sense? And would that mean taillight bezels and tail gate trim too I assume
Old 04-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
jocko

one of my personal favorite color combos.
It would appear your truck is the Custom trim level(?)
With that, it could be completely plain, or could have upper OR lower body side molding ordered separately. The only thing "required" with the conventional two-tone would be the D99 divider trim to separate the paint change.

Any way you choose to go, it's a great combo. As for trim, I would add both upper and lower, even on a solid body color or conventional two-tone truck. That's just me. Some folks prefer to skip the upper body molding - and that would be my 2nd choice. Some prefer upper molding only - looks nice but not quite my personal cup of tea.

Something about the upper AND lower body molding on these trucks that is kinda iconic in my pea brain. Nice truck you've got there, can't wait to see how it turns out with your new plans for it. I think it would look great as a solid 525 truck with both moldings added. Or perhaps the VERY rare 576 that Tim pointed out. That gives additional options on the interior color combos as well. But you just can't go wrong with white roof over ANY body color. Here are a few more from the archives (the last one might be particularly helpful):
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
jocko

a few more (is the 2nd one yours!?!)
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 04-11-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
SS Tim

The conventional two-tone was very common at all trim levels. As Jocko confirmed the only added molding would be the D99 divider trim.

While you could also add a belt molding too. There was also the factory pinstripe option (RPO D89) that ran along the same bodyline as the belt molding (in white in this case). That would allow you to break up the side a little without adding a lot of trim.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536727
Old 04-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #10
SS Tim

As you can clearly see Jocko LIKES light yellow trucks. However I must point out that it was not offered in 68 (post 8). But there was a similar color offered, code 520 light yellow.

The belt molding as a stand alone is not too often seen and if we are expressing preferences I'd do the truck in solid or conventional two-tone too. However I would strongly consider the lower bodyside molding and/or the D89 pinstripe depepnding on the trim level.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #11
Nitis

Snapped a pic of my glove box. Actually found the original owners manual and warranty card. Truck was bought new in Colfax Ca.

One day when it all comes together probably just do conventional two tone no mouldings.

Just got done cleaning up and painting the rally wheels black installing new caps and rings and black lug nuts.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #12
Nitis

Full shot
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #13
Nitis

Glove box
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #14
jocko

looks nice! Have you considered returning to stock white steelies with the PO3's once you paint the roof white?

Looks great just like it is! Nice job on the rallies, they look good. That there is a nice truck!
Old 04-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
Nitis

I really like the stance the rally's give it but I think one day when it gets painted I'll have the rally's powder coated white to go with the top
Old 04-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #16
SS Tim

A set of full wheelcovers P01 along with a stainless mirror upgrade would really wake the truck up especially with a white roof and that little divider chrome. Maybe D89 pinstripe too as a finishing touch.

or

White roof, original white bumper and mirrors and white rallys without a trim ring or cap.

In truth there are hundreds of variations you could do and still be factory style correct. Thinking maybe black bucket seat interior with the correct carpet too.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #17
Nitis

The seat is a whole bother beast I have yet to decide on. Buckets would be easy but I need the bench so the kids can both go with. Probably just going to have the seat that's in it re finished. I don't think it's the original seat but a bench is a bench to me

I'm sure to change my mind a hundred times between now and paint time I was thinking just the upper moulding would give it some bling but not over the top and so much to take care of. But if a guy needs to add taillight bezels and tailgate trim to make it look right I'll probably pass as I still want to use it as a tuck and not spend all my time polishing chrome

Pretty happy with my wheels too. As much as I respect the factory stuff it's just not me.

And I'll defiantly change out the mirror too once I do paint I just don't feel like punching more holes or leaving holes vacant any more than already are for the time being
Old 04-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #18
Nitis

I'm also starting to think my seat I will do black with white houndstooth if I do an oe style recover. I'll do a black dash pad as I'm thinking that's what it came with since my visors are also black and appear untouched. Eventually get some new parchment door panels and might just try and see how they look with the black arm rest?

Thanks for the help here guys and I'm very impressionable so I'm all ears
Old 04-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #19
72bowtiestepper

Was 72 C-10 stepside available with 525 yellow with white roof & rear paint divider moulding ??
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:53 PM   #20
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72bowtiestepper View Post
Was 72 C-10 stepside available with 525 yellow with white roof & rear paint divider moulding ??
Yes any pickup or chassis cab CK10-20 and C30 from 70-72 could have been ordered that way. Actually Blazers and Suburbans had very similar schemes too.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #21
72bowtiestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Yes any pickup or chassis cab CK10-20 and C30 from 70-72 could have been ordered that way. Actually Blazers and Suburbans had very similar schemes too.
Thanks...I'm going with that combo....I like the look !
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #22
SS Tim

I'd recommend staying at a Custom trim level to keep things easy.
Black with white houndstooth was never stock and only Cheyenne Supers had houndstooth.
White door panels don't work the black armrests either, seen'um.

A workable parchment seatcover would not be too hard to come up with and a vinyl Cheyenne cover while not correct is often seen and cheap.

Toss up an interior picture later if you can/want.

If it were me, at this trim level I would do black or med green interior but that is not for everyone. Black is super easy to live with and buy parts for.

A pseudo stock base look is very easy to achieve in black and only a little more difficult in parchment.

Outside I would keep the small tripod mirrors you have in the correct white or stainless, they just plain work and work well.

Wheels are always a personal choice but I bet you would like the change a set of wheel covers could make. Pop them off of when you are going to be wheeling and put them in harms way.

Your original as built was the optional chromed hub caps (lower left in picture) Stock with a hubcap option would have the been the lower right whites. The wheelcovers I am thinking about (p01) are top center and not the Highlander style. On 4x4 applications they have a hub hole up front.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2014, 06:23 PM   #23
Nitis

Main reason for wanting the hounds tooth was so I wouldn't have a 100% vinyl seat it gets a little warm in my local so I may just take it to an upholstery guy and see what I get.

The green interior could be a nice twist for sure I may have to give it some thought

If you have some pics you could post I would love to see them. Google image search is kind of tedious.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #24
jocko

if you do go houndstooth - I'm assuming you're talking parchment vinyl with houndstooth, not the black vinyl with houndstooth, yes? (reason I ask - black vinyl houndstooth was never a factory option).
Old 04-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #25
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitis View Post
Main reason for wanting the hounds tooth was so I wouldn't have a 100% vinyl seat it gets a little warm in my local so I may just take it to an upholstery guy and see what I get.

The green interior could be a nice twist for sure I may have to give it some thought

If you have some pics you could post I would love to see them. Google image search is kind of tedious.
Guessing you are not familiar with the 612 green vinyl trim in base trucks. It is not the olive as seen in higher trim levels it is very much a turquoise green and went very well with the 518 med green paint.

Here is a picture showing hints of it in a dark olive truck and a 612/518 clip from the brochure with a lot of color shift. But if you have a brochure handy there it is. Might try doing a seacrh for 612 green vinyl too.
Attached Images