The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
briscuba

Build sheet question and Vin #

Hi,
I am restoring 1970 CST/10 BB, PS, PB, A/C. It is Black truck exterior with the bottom wood grain trim. Olive on Black interior - kinda rare color combo... I think. Unfortunately, I do not have the original build sheet with color codes. Is there a way to get a copy of build sheet with the Vin #?

Thanks!

Brian
briscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: Build sheet question and Vin #

No.

The build sheet was an aid to the assembly process and only exists in the vehicle (if at all). No additional copies were kept by the manufacturing plant or division.

Also - the GM Heritage Center archives can only authenticate trucks back as far as 1976, so they are no help either in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briscuba View Post
Unfortunately, I do not have the original build sheet with color codes.
Just to clarify: Which codes are you really trying to get at? Documentation regarding option content (RPO codes) - or - the paint "mix" codes (like the WA number) so that you can accurately reproduce the correct colors?

Thanks,

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
briscuba

Hello, and thanks for the reply. Good question. I am looking for both actually.

I am about 95% certain that the code for the paint is standard (1970) black. I have it written at home. I think I have the Olive code written somewhere as well. There are things that are missing like the carpet. Pretty sure it was Olive (found traces under the seat). The seat is black, but I believe it was changed because it DID contain a build sheet in the springs, that did not match my truck. I think the original seat scroll pattern vinyl was Olive.

I am kinda new to this and had heard that the Build sheet usually contains this info. Bummer it cannot be replaced!

Have you heard of this color combo?

Thanks
Brian
Old 04-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
bruceman1968

Brian, Do you have a SPID (glove box sticker) on the inside of the glove box door?
Old 04-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
briscuba

Nope, stripped away. I looked there too.

I do have remnance of what looked like the original selling sticker. the one posted on the window. It is old and grimmy, and crumbles when handled. It's not complete. I put it in a plastic ziplock and a bit afraid to touch it. I can see that Black/Olive was the combo. I also confirm the 402/400 auto is original too. I need to find a way to clean the remainder of the sheet without completely destroying it. It was stuck to the bottom of the floor under the seat. Almost permanantly imprinted there.
Thanks!
Old 04-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by briscuba View Post
Nope, stripped away. I looked there too.

I do have remnance of what looked like the original selling sticker. the one posted on the window. It is old and grimmy, and crumbles when handled. It's not complete. I put it in a plastic ziplock and a bit afraid to touch it. I can see that Black/Olive was the combo. I also confirm the 402/400 auto is original too. I need to find a way to clean the remainder of the sheet without completely destroying it. It was stuck to the bottom of the floor under the seat. Almost permanantly imprinted there.
Thanks!
Some of my Pontiac bretheren have had good success saving some pretty nasty looking build sheets:

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...ht=build+sheet

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
SS Tim

Black with olive interior was not common but not unknown either. The colors are pretty basic. Funny thing is a month ago I was thinking real hard on a beat 72 with an olive interior I'd found because it was black and olive, a K20 and a Cheyenne Super.

Exterior color Black 500 (ditzler 9000) you will have no problem with. However if the truck was a two-tone then it would also have a 521 white roof (ditzler 2185). If the truck has the divider molding present or its studs then you had a two-tone in one of two styles on a black truck.
The interior paint is straight foward. All the metal is black just like the exterior except forward of the dash pad. That is painted a flat black.

All the trim for a 70 CST is going to be olive if that was the color as you believe. Seat, carpet, headliner, door panels, dash pad, seatbelts and so on. Try and match up as many of the original looking interior color components to determine the original color.

Problem is determining how the truck was built, how complete it is and how dedicated your are to "restoring" it vs "rebuilding" it. If you are unsure how the truck was optioned, try getting a someone to look at it for you. Most options are pretty straight forward if they are or were present and you have nailed down the primary like the driveline. Being a CST it had a lot stock like the exterior trim (belt molding was optional).

As always pictures help a lot. Besides we like pictures.

Last edited by SS Tim; 04-15-2014 at 04:01 PM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
briscuba

Awesome info., thanks.

I am pretty tech savvy and cannot figure out how to upload a photo. Any suggestions?
Old 04-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #9
briscuba

Pics:
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #10
SS Tim

Great you have a lot there to start with. Agree Black and Dark Olive interior from what I see here.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #11
briscuba

Thank you, not great pics, but a good start. Loving these forums!!