The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
Cowboy5

Brilliant idea "maybe"

I have thinking of extending the running time on my 72 Chevy and installing and se ond gas tank and relocating the gas tank behind the seat. I was just looking for ideas and ways to accomplish this task. Thanks alot guys and girls.
Cowboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
71swb4x4

Re: Brilliant idea "maybe"

Lots of people put their tank under the bed where the spare tire normally sits. A few put them in the box right behind the cab too. There are plenty of options.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
Tinkermc

2 tanks would be easy if you are looking for 25 gallons or so each.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
Cowboy5

I was looking at the way that the tanks are on my 77 chevy 4x4. It has dual tanks on it. but i dont think that way is going to work. If anyone has done this mod or if anyone knows the process to accomplish it or just direct me in a good direction.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
SS Tim

People were putting dual saddle tanks under (or in) the front of the bed since these were new. Not to mention the two factory aux tank options and the dealer accessory tank kits. Its very common to see beds with filler doors added in the side though many tanks were filled in the wheel well. It should be very easy to find a set of used tanks and clean them up. Installation is very straight forward. The tank behind the seat is really a non-issue and will work just fine with a pair of saddle tanks. Three tanks would total up to about 57 gallons.

Question is will you drive the truck enough to keep all that fuel fresh?
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
Former member Yoder213

Ive got a custom tank in the bed, in front of the wheel well, as well as two saddle tanks, and the one behind the seat.

PO worked in firewood and wood fill up and head to the woods.

One neat trick is he installed a couple "t"s and a separate elelctric fuel pump so as to have a gas pump that you couldn't see. the custom tank is situated so that its not visible unless you are right next to the truck (out of site out of mind)
Former member Yoder213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
BADAZ chevy guy

More weight = lower gas mileage and more wear & tear on the truck. Personally, I'd rather stop for gas more often.

700R4 build thread. >>> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...36#post6740236
BADAZ chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:34 PM   #8
Cowboy5

I agree Chevy guy but i was just thinking about that today. I am just a little uncomfortable leaning and sitting right in front of a potential vbied. So I was just thinking of relocating the gas tank. Any ideas would be appreciated very much.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #9
AirSpeed

I remember watching 20/20 years ago, they were claiming the in cab tank was dangerous, they tried to get one to blow up, even tried rolling one on its side claiming it would undo the gas cap and blow up the truck, apparently they couldn't get it to blow so they installed little hobby rocket motors with a remote igniter that lit the gas. They were caught, you could plainly see the rocket in their video and they had to apologise to GM.
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #10
C. M. Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
People were putting dual saddle tanks under (or in) the front of the bed since these were new. Not to mention the two factory aux tank options and the dealer accessory tank kits. Its very common to see beds with filler doors added in the side though many tanks were filled in the wheel well. It should be very easy to find a set of used tanks and clean them up. Installation is very straight forward. The tank behind the seat is really a non-issue and will work just fine with a pair of saddle tanks. Three tanks would total up to about 57 gallons.

Question is will you drive the truck enough to keep all that fuel fresh?
Certainly go with something like the above, and possibly even add the 'saddle tank' behind the cab seat. The hardest part about adding fuel tanks is correctly piping them in & finding a valve/switch system that won't seize up in time, and wiring them to read the fuel levels in the tanks individually off the one fuel gauge.

One thing to remember about hauling fuel in your truck is... "The farther you go, is the lighter it gets." (but being able to "Pass" more gas stations gives you the option of possibly finding cheaper gas later on or down the road.

...And the 'freshness' of the tank's fuel becomes far less an issue if you use a product called "Sta-Bil".

IHTH

Michael

Last edited by C. M. Wolf; 04-19-2014 at 01:39 PM.
C. M. Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
I remember watching 20/20 years ago, they were claiming the in cab tank was dangerous, they tried to get one to blow up, even tried rolling one on its side claiming it would undo the gas cap and blow up the truck, apparently they couldn't get it to blow so they installed little hobby rocket motors with a remote igniter that lit the gas. They were caught, you could plainly see the rocket in their video and they had to apologise to GM.
No that was the 73+ saddle tanks that they did that to. They claimed a side collision would trap the driver and passengers in the cab and make the tanks explode.