The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
Boomscatty

Wheel Back Spacing Question

Hey! Wondering if anyone out there can shed some light on what backspace/offset I can run on a 20x9 inch wheel in the rear of my 1960 C10 that is static dropped 5 in the rear with a 72 chev axle. I would measure but the truck is at a body shop so I thought I would see what people might know or recommend out here.

Also the front is still the Torsion bar set up but with a disc brake conversion, any recommendations as to backspacing for 20x9's up there as well???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Boomscatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
kieth

Re: Wheel Back Spacing Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomscatty View Post
Hey! Wondering if anyone out there can shed some light on what backspace/offset I can run on a 20x9 inch wheel in the rear of my 1960 C10 that is static dropped 5 in the rear with a 72 chev axle. I would measure but the truck is at a body shop so I thought I would see what people might know or recommend out here.

Also the front is still the Torsion bar set up but with a disc brake conversion, any recommendations as to backspacing for 20x9's up there as well???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Man that is all so user specific you better do it yourself, guess or get some friends to let you try their wheels on for size, cause the 72 axle and the torsion bar front with disc brakes makes it pretty unique....
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
Boomscatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
Man that is all so user specific you better do it yourself, guess or get some friends to let you try their wheels on for size, cause the 72 axle and the torsion bar front with disc brakes makes it pretty unique....
It should be pretty straight forward. A lot of people run these rear ends in these trucks they are just a little wider than stock, and the drop spindle kit with the disc brakes is a kit made for these.
Boomscatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
PGSigns

What you run into more than the rim back spacing is the tire. If it has a lot of side wall bulge it may need a different back spacing to get it off the inside or the outside. I have 20X8.5'd for my 65 fleetside and with the 285's I have it need an extra 1 1/2 of wheel tub to get them in. the back spacing is 5.5 and It has an inch of room on the outside.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote