The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
stepside68longbed

anyone running turbo?

so my 307 locked up today so new motor has moved to #1 now!

I'm 20 n still learning I don't know it all. I'm thinking a 350 with ab 300-350HP and maybe twin turbo kit.. Do I need to be at a certain HP to run turbo? I just want that surprise punch that will throw ya back in the seat and that sweet sweet whistle. so what's your thoughts on running turbo?
stepside68longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
71K20chevy

Re: anyone running turbo?

If that's all the power you're wanting, I'd do a stroker and a few other mods and call it good.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:51 PM   #3
trac209

Pretty sure he means 300+ hp na engine plus turbo. Put it this way my friend has a Trans am that makes around 325 hp na and 1200hp with a single turbo. What you need to run a turbo is a very strong engine assembly if you want to run lots of boost. But there's plenty of guys who run 8-10 psi on stock ls engines without issue and make nearly 600hp with them.
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:54 AM   #4
BlacklandCamper

Lets see, your 20, and want to run boost on a 350hp SBC. In a truck, with no, and I do mean NO weight over the rear tires...

I would say build you a stout 350ci SBC, 10.5:1 or so compression, good streetable cam, good intake, and a well balanced carb breathing out an equally well balanced exhaust. I think you will find that 300-350hp is just fine for a driver, and much easier to manage without getting too far in over your head. It is still enough to get away from you, but much more forgiving than a boosted engine.

If all you want is a extra bit of oomph, I would recommend leaving the compression around 9.5:1, and installing a conservative shot of N2O. You will get the punch you want, with the benefit of not having it unless you mean to.

If you have never owned a boosted car before, I would suggest making friends with some one who does. Or go test drive a boosted car, one of the smaller 2.0 liter cars to give you some appreciation of how it feels. My VW with a boosted 2.0 made just over 200hp, and my friends boosted 2.7L V6 Saab is right around 300. That one will get you a speeding ticket before you get into fourth.

A boosted SBC is no joke. Putting the snails to a 350hp one will surprise the **** out of you, even worse if you don't know how to deal with the boost.

I have seen guys who have built their own engines, driven them daily, and raced them regularly, still end up in the wall. **** can go sideways REAL quick.

If you are dead set on it, I would suggest no lower than 7.5:1 C/R, and NO MORE than 5lbs boost.

Donkey: 93 Nissan D21, the farm truck. My 1/2 ton SWB. The Indomitable Datsun.
1st BN 3rd MAR. '00-'04
BlacklandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
Bigdav160

I hope the OP has lots of $$$$$$$$$

Turbo with a carb is a PITA to deal with. Fuel Injection is the answer however, there are limited options for the SBC. Then, an aftermarket engine management system will be needed, upgraded fuel pump, injectors ect......

A SBC will require a fair size turbo which will have some lag. The lower compression that will be required will make the engine docile at low RPM's then break loose when the boost come up. You really have to learn to "drive the turbo"

A roots or centrifugal supercharger is really a better option but still $$$$$
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
69GMCLonghorn

Turbo? You've obviously confused this with the Rice Rocket forum...
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
imjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71K20chevy View Post
If that's all the power you're wanting, I'd do a stroker and a few other mods and call it good.
Excellent advice!
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

You can get 1hp per cubic inch out of a 350 all day long and use the stock bottom end! Flat top pistons and a new cam, closed chamber heads, carb, intake, headers etc... No need for turbos for that kind of power.

But if you do want to turbo it with a blow through carb... you'll need to do some reading and research. Make the bottom end stout and don't cut corners. It can be done, but not for cheap.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #9
skorpioskorpio

When I bought my Jimmy it had this installed:
Name:  IMG_0235.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  67.3 KB
Does that count?
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I have one of those too! In my 1972 GMC.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #11
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

If you're serious about wanting more power and you're sure you can afford it and more importantly, can handle it -- and your engine is fried anyway, why not get a strong but streetable BBC? Plenty of punch and lots less complication than a turbocharged SBC.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:34 AM   #12
stepside68longbed

I'm not really dead set one anything yet just ideas and thoughts I had a 4.6 turbo mustang scared the $h** out of my self a few times I got better then got rid of it... Fiberglass body it was a death wish waiting to happen... Money isn't really an issue I mean I'm not gonna go over board no more than 8 grand in the motor I love the suprise punch that throw you in the seat... N I have a couple spoiled friends who's mommie n daddy's bought them a cummins n have done a little to it n their pretty crazy 4x4 launch is rediclious they don't really know much past their owners manually tho I was just browsing and seen a twin turbo setup on one of these old truck n thought it would be pretty sweet.. Down the road ill get a 3/4 or a one ton n put a built cummins that'll pull some toys n just be bad@$$

Anyways this is my first big project I'm gettin out of building mini bikes go carts n race in mowers and shifter carts once we get moved in a month or so this is really gonna go by fast I'm hopein to have a motor June/July should I just forget the turbo n look at a 350-380hp motor instead? Or what Im wanting to be thrown in my seat when I punch it I'm not much for top speed I went 165 once n I'm done lol how expensive is Nos to set up anyways I've never looked into it.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:37 AM   #13
trac209

http://youtu.be/yjM3WCSHtuI

My fav turbo truck
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:39 AM   #14
stepside68longbed

And I've thought about a BBC but I've also thought ab MPG hahah I would like To be albe to afford to drive what I've built hahah
Old 04-19-2014, 12:45 AM   #15
stepside68longbed

Damn that tucks runnin 10's all day I just love that whistle hah
Old 04-19-2014, 02:00 AM   #16
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside68longbed View Post
And I've thought about a BBC but I've also thought ab MPG hahah I would like To be albe to afford to drive what I've built hahah
1) You'll spend a ton more money building a twin-turbo SBC than you would on a healthy streetable BBC.

2) If you had a twin-turbo SBC, you'd be playing with the loud pedal and getting worse gas mileage than if you had a BBC.

Just my two cents worth. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:25 AM   #17
71K20chevy

Quote:
I was just browsing and seen a twin turbo setup on one of these old truck n thought it would be pretty sweet..

Are you sure you weren't in the LS section? If you're truly dead set on a turbo though, a 5.3 LS with just one turbo and no other different parts, will put about 550 hp down. But if you don't need the turbo, like I said before I think your best bet would be a 383 stroker. Some heads, a good cam, and exhaust will still definitely put you back in your seat, and you'll have gobs of torque down low.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #18
Bigdav160

Quote:
Originally Posted by trac209 View Post
http://youtu.be/yjM3WCSHtuI

My fav turbo truck
And that truck is running an LS motor
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #19
Heavymetl

I'm doing a turbo LS build for my truck. It's a major undertaking and something that is going to require drawing on a lot of my past experience (fab work, EFI tuning, familiarity with the LS, etc) and pushing to learn new skills.

I picked up a $550 junkyard 5.3, bought Ebay head studs, LS9 gaskets, PAC 1218 valve springs, and a used Z06 cam.

But for now and this summer while I collect parts...I'll be cruising the 250 buzzin' half dozen'.

But back to the OP's question, don't even fool with a big block or small block turbo setup. Research the LS turbo world, and you'll be amazed. The stock LS shortblock is much stronger than any small/big block ever factory produced and the stock engine management computer is capable of handling the boost after tuned with EFI Live or HPtuners.

The engine isn't the focal point of a turbo build anyway. 4 things are critical and need the most money and attention.
-FUEL SYSTEM (top priority!)
-Turbo
-Transmission
-Torque convertor

Like someone said "A turbo is just a jet engine with pistons in the way". In the last 5 years turbo LS popularity has exploded and I'd never have guessed I'd start to think of BBC's as slow dinosaurs...but that's the truth. 700+ HP and nearly 20mpg is the new reality.
Heavymetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #20
70blackfish

HP equals fuel. turbo means more air more fuel.
and all parts have to be able to handle the extra HP. trans. reared , brakes...!!

my 2 cents get with summit or jegs buy a crate 350 or 383 motor, some may have a warranty. and free shipping.
and any cash over from 8k you will need for fuel.....
Old 04-20-2014, 12:29 AM   #21
stepside68longbed

I haven't checked into any ls engines yet I like to be heard comein from a few blocks away hah ill have other projects down the road like a black on black 69 camaro pushing out 800+ HP but that's down the road.

I want this truck loud and proud but not too crazy ill run dual electric fans block heater and other tricks to improve MPG I'd like to get at least 15 even when I get on it n play every now n then and ab 20 when I'm not playin I'll probly look into that 383. For a while I'm gonna do disk in the front drum in the back I've looked at disk in the back and ends up being 1,000 I mean yeah it would be nice but a grand just for rear disk when fronts only cost 3-400 why is it so much more expensive?
Old 04-20-2014, 12:32 AM   #22
stepside68longbed

I'm not set on anything till I'm putting my numbers into the computer to purchase lol I'm just takeing thoughts suggestions and ideas
Old 04-20-2014, 07:29 AM   #23
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
I want this truck loud and proud but not too crazy ill run dual electric fans block heater and other tricks to improve MPG I'd like to get at least 15 even when I get on it n play every now n then and ab 20 when I'm not playin I'll probly look into that 383. For a while I'm gonna do disk in the front drum in the back I've looked at disk in the back and ends up being 1,000 I mean yeah it would be nice but a grand just for rear disk when fronts only cost 3-400 why is it so much more expensive?
It all depends on what you mean by "get on it", even a Prius will never see 15 MPG when it's thrashed on a track.

As far as the brakes, not sure what you think that 3-400 in the front is buying you, but you'll need rotors, calipers, caliper brackets, you should be replacing your lines (hard and soft), a proportioning valve, and a disk brake master, you can get all that for $3-400 new? In my case my fronts were more than my rears, but then again I had custom milled hubs made and a custom spacer set made for running off the shelf 13 1/2" Z51 'Vette brakes, brackets and calipers with center lug wheels. Gotta say though if you are balking about the cost of rear disks, I'm not sure the turbo rabbit hole is where you want to go.

Last edited by skorpioskorpio; 04-20-2014 at 08:30 AM.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #24
71K20chevy

LS motors can certainly be loud, and you CAN get 15-20+ mpg with them...
Old 04-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #25
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

This thread somehow reminds me of SchrumGMC.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote