The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
dieselmec1993

spools or lockers

Hey guys I'm worken on my mud truck and I took her playing and only get 2 tires and time spini g time to up grade axles with locker or spools its got a 44 front and 14 bolt full flout rear just trying to figure out what I should do I'm running 35's and not got much money to spend on this toy lol need help to get stuck less and I'm not woried about the turning Iof spools I can get out and tur. Lock out off thanks
1984 c30 crew cab dually 6.2diesel next project
only 18 and finshed 5 projects started when i was
dieselmec1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: spools or lockers

Tru-Trac front and Detroit Locker rear. Been the best way to go for 40 years or so

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:11 AM   #3
andrewmp6

You might wanna get a dana 60 for the front of it.35s on a locked dana 44 in the mud something is going to break.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
OldBlue71Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Tru-Trac front and Detroit Locker rear. Been the best way to go for 40 years or so
x2

Put a locker/spool in the rear and you might even find that you don't need anything in the front.

I recently wrote up a small article about Lockers/spools, my experience with them, and how to weld a 14 bolt: http://www.ooberfabrication.com/ol-b...-how-to-do-it/
OldBlue71Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
wilkin250r

I believe the 14 bolt FF uses a 2-piece carrier, so even a lunchbox locker will require you to pull the carrier out and deal with the comlexity of setting up the ring and pinion correctly.

However, a lunchbox locker might be your best option. I've seen the cheaper brands around $350, the trusted brands around $450
Old 04-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
Redcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkin250r View Post
I believe the 14 bolt FF uses a 2-piece carrier, so even a lunchbox locker will require you to pull the carrier out and deal with the comlexity of setting up the ring and pinion correctly.

However, a lunchbox locker might be your best option. I've seen the cheaper brands around $350, the trusted brands around $450
Throwing a Detroit into a 14b FF is easy and doesn't require R&P setup again. It can be accomplished in an afternoon easily and while drinking beer.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...r-14-bolt.html
Old 05-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #7
wilkin250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcap View Post
Throwing a Detroit into a 14b FF is easy and doesn't require R&P setup again. It can be accomplished in an afternoon easily and while drinking beer.
I'm going to be 100% honest, I've never rebuilt a 14B FF, but I HAVE rebuild a Dana (35, I think) and a Ford 8.8 semi-floater. Maybe the 14B is different.

That write-up looks like it's saying to mark everything, pull it out, and put it back the same way, trusting that everything lines up perfect. I DON'T LIKE THAT. To me, that's like torquing down head bolts by feel, "trusting" that they're all torqued exactly the same, and to correct spec.

Many lunchbox lockers can be installed without removing the carrier. In those situations, yes, the install can easily be just a few hours and a couple beers. If the carrier never moves, then it never changes, so the ring and pinion will remain the same. But there is a reason differential rebuild kits come with shims as thin as 0.001", because the tolerances are THAT close and precise.

I don't want this to come across as an internet-tough-guy issue, or a "OMG, Someone is Wrong on the Internet" type of issue. It may very well be that the 14b FF can be rebuilt that easily. But personally, I don't like it. Your entire connection between the rig and the road travels through that differential. It's important. I would never trust things to "just line up". If that carrier is removed, in my opinion, you MUST go through all the steps upon reassembly to set up that ring and pinion correctly.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #8
Redcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkin250r View Post
I'm going to be 100% honest, I've never rebuilt a 14B FF, but I HAVE rebuild a Dana (35, I think) and a Ford 8.8 semi-floater. Maybe the 14B is different.

That write-up looks like it's saying to mark everything, pull it out, and put it back the same way, trusting that everything lines up perfect. I DON'T LIKE THAT. To me, that's like torquing down head bolts by feel, "trusting" that they're all torqued exactly the same, and to correct spec.

Many lunchbox lockers can be installed without removing the carrier. In those situations, yes, the install can easily be just a few hours and a couple beers. If the carrier never moves, then it never changes, so the ring and pinion will remain the same. But there is a reason differential rebuild kits come with shims as thin as 0.001", because the tolerances are THAT close and precise.

I don't want this to come across as an internet-tough-guy issue, or a "OMG, Someone is Wrong on the Internet" type of issue. It may very well be that the 14b FF can be rebuilt that easily. But personally, I don't like it. Your entire connection between the rig and the road travels through that differential. It's important. I would never trust things to "just line up". If that carrier is removed, in my opinion, you MUST go through all the steps upon reassembly to set up that ring and pinion correctly.
Different strokes for different folks. I've rebuilt a few differentials too. 14bolt floater, Dana 44, Dana 60, Dana 70, 9" Ford, IH RA-15.

I did the Detroit in my K25 with the method listed above. Works like a charm, backlash and gear pattern are fine. I can understand how some people might be hesitant or not want to try it, though.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #9
ryanroo

i did the detroit in my 14ff weeks after i set up the gears. outside of getting the sleeve to crush, setting up a 14ff is like falling out of a boat. it is really easy. after the pinion depth is set you can pull the carrier out and put it back in 15 million times and you will have no issues getting a solid pattern. ive been driving on this gearset in a heavy truck with a bbc for the last 5+ years and nary a squeak out of the rear end. i personally would re-set the backlash as opposed to re-installing by a mark since it takes a few minutes at most to set.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #10
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

It really does not require a full "set-up" to replace a carrier. It is simply a matter of getting the backlash back to exactly the same measurement as it was before.....nothing more, nothing less, and with a 14bolt that is pretty easy since they are screw adjusted.
Forget the pattern, that is a "new set-up" thing and will only confuse things. The gear contact has worn itself into where it "fits" and the pattern it makes may not look like you would think, but you cannot change it now
The backlash just needs to be the same and all is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:37 PM   #11
1972RedNeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
i did the detroit in my 14ff weeks after i set up the gears. outside of getting the sleeve to crush, setting up a 14ff is like falling out of a boat. it is really easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcap View Post
So does that mean that the more beer I drink the easier it is?
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:51 AM   #12
DWilbur

Redcap is correct on installing a locker in a 14 bolt is easy and at least a 12 pack.
DWilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #13
Redcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWilbur View Post
Redcap is correct on installing a locker in a 14 bolt is easy and at least a 12 pack.
True story. I try to only do jobs in allocations of 30 beers or more, though.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:38 AM   #14
DWilbur

That funny about the 30 beers.
Friday night and Saturday I can get away with 30 beers.
DWilbur is offline   Reply With Quote