The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #1
Mattchu60

New Rancho Shocks installed, now truck is bouncing?

Hello All,

I installed new Rancho S5000 shocks on the front of my K10 yesterday, as I read about what a great ride they are. I got the correct length of shocks, truck has stock ride height.

Install was fine, no problem there. Before I had Monroe Sensa-trac's and the ride was pretty rough at times, felt every crack and bump in the road. I read about how great these Rancho shocks were so I bought a pair.

I drove the truck about 30 min this morning to work, the first 10 miles I really like the shocks (asphalt paved road). Then I turned onto a concrete road for another 15 miles and it was terrible, it seems like the truck has a condition which I would call "bouncing." Instead of hitting a bump and settling back down, the front end continues to bounce up and down for a bit. bigger bumps are worse, they seem to echo bounce for a time.

Is this normal?? Should I expect some kind of break in period? I'm about ready to pull these back off and re-install the monroe's after just one drive, I hated it.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
cleansquare
Account Suspended

Re: New Rancho Shocks installed, now truck is bouncing?

Watching this thread
cleansquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
Axle

If you want a smooth(er) ride, standard replacement shocks is what you'll want.
After ripping out a few shock mounts I smartened up and went back to a standard duty replacement shock. Have not ripped out any mounts since, and pavement cracks don't jar the truck any more.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
bundy

what about when running a lift? i have those same rancho shocks on a 4 inch lift and my ride is the same, HORRIBLE on bump and bump roads. i always figured it was bc of the short wheel base.
bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
Jeepwm69

Should have gotten the 9000's. They're adjustable.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
Mattchu60

I looked at 9000s but was read the 5000's would be a great choice.

I should clarify - the ride is not stiff at all - its way to soft - the front end "bounces" up and down after any bumps for some time, like its bobbing up and down. It feels like there are no shocks on the truck to control the bouncing, it just floats along.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:17 PM   #7
crashz

I had Ranchos on my 83 and hated them. I've run Monroes on everything else, but for economic reasons. The next set will be Bilstiens
crashz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
Jeepwm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashz View Post
I had Ranchos on my 83 and hated them. I've run Monroes on everything else, but for economic reasons. The next set will be Bilstiens
I have the RS5000's on my CJ's, but then again, they're CJ"s, so the ride is about like a buckboard wagon anyway.

Monroe makes Rancho, probably the same shocks, with some red boots. Rancho has a good warranty though.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
Shirazois

same problem. Blew out a rear rt shock. Was lateral bouncing bad. Replaced all shocks checked everything else all good. Shocks up front were an "upgrade" ha..... now rear is steady and settles quickly but front feels like a boat going over waves.... bounces a couple times, can feel less handling and it tries to skip around open curves tight on 90 degree corner. Braking still gives me a nose down and a couple bounces before settles. No lateral bouncing though now since rear shocks replaced. Just front end. Asphalt not as bad, concrete or asphalt over concrete like interstates bad. Pretty sure need to "downgrade" the front shocks. Dampers etc were checked. Truck floats and drives like a old Lincoln Towncar now. Will report what is done. But exact same thing. At least my back and spine aren't rammed up into my skull from the bouncing on the rear.
Shirazois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
Mattchu60

I figured this out after I posted the problem - I had installed the Ranchos upside down. After removing and flipping them, they rode great. The "boot" end of the shock goes up, not down, I found out.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #11
SnowNeck

I have a 4 inch rough country lift no blocks with bilstiens all the way around, rides pretty nice.