The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #1
cariboo4x4

vin # & regi, sell with cab or frame or does it matter??

On my 1981 gmc 4x4 I am parting out, there's the vin on the dash, and one on the frame. Is there one stamped into the firewall too? I been told they can be on doors and elsewhere. All I can see is the one on the dash. I have yet to look at frame but told its on frame rail by steering box. I have a guy that wants to buy the cab\front clip asap and another guy that wants to buy the frame in the summer\fall. I figure papers should go with cab yet what about guy buying frame? I don't want to create any future hardships for the buyers or myself. Like after cab is in someone else's name, what happens if the guy that bought frame takes it through a mvi? The guy that wants to buy frame bought a 1 ton 4x4 gov. service truck that has an extended frame and he wants to buy my frame so he has the right frame to bolt a box on to. Like what do I tell buyers, etc. so they know what they are doing is good-to-go? Anybody know from experience? I read at icbc you need to get a BC assigned vin if you replace your dash, or if 2 or more vin numbers on a truck don't match.
cariboo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: vin # & regi, sell with cab or frame or does it matter??

I would expect the title to go with the cab. Guys frame-swap these all the time, I've never heard anyone mention trouble with a frame VIN not matching. Honestly, I didn't know there was a VIN stamp on the frame.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Old Truck Man

So far ive never seen a VIN number stamped on a GMC frame. Every chevy I ever saw had a VIN on the Frame. Myself I would never sell a vin tag or title. Its something im not comfortable doing.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
tobiahr

in texas the title goes with the cab. not really sure what your local laws may be.

Last edited by tobiahr; 04-22-2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: poor grammer
tobiahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo4x4 View Post
On my 1981 gmc 4x4 I am parting out, there's the vin on the dash, and one on the frame. Is there one stamped into the firewall too? I been told they can be on doors and elsewhere. All I can see is the one on the dash. I have yet to look at frame but told its on frame rail by steering box. I have a guy that wants to buy the cab\front clip asap and another guy that wants to buy the frame in the summer\fall. I figure papers should go with cab yet what about guy buying frame? I don't want to create any future hardships for the buyers or myself. Like after cab is in someone else's name, what happens if the guy that bought frame takes it through a mvi? The guy that wants to buy frame bought a 1 ton 4x4 gov. service truck that has an extended frame and he wants to buy my frame so he has the right frame to bolt a box on to. Like what do I tell buyers, etc. so they know what they are doing is good-to-go? Anybody know from experience? I read at icbc you need to get a BC assigned vin if you replace your dash, or if 2 or more vin numbers on a truck don't match.

The VIN on the cab is what most agencies go by.

There is also a VIN on the frame rail - upper horizontal surface of the rail, in the vicinty of the second row seats. This is the same for GMC and for Chevy. The numbers on the front of the frame are not the VIN but are supplier part numbers and other date codes.

There are no other VINs on the body, like in the area of the heater box (except for some Oshawa built pickups). No VIN on the doors, glass, fenders or anything like that.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #6
cariboo4x4

I talked to a guy that owned a gm dealership years ago and builds hotrods for fun now. He said just sell frame as is and sell regi with cab. He said I'm just over analyzing it too much. Once buyer has it, its up to the buyer to do it right thanks for all the help!
cariboo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #7
Fatherof3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo4x4 View Post
i talked to a guy that owned a gm dealership years ago and builds hotrods for fun now. He said just sell frame as is and sell regi with cab. He said i'm just over analyzing it too much. Once buyer has it, its up to the buyer to do it right thanks for all the help!
x2
65 C20 292 4spd 4:56 Eaton HO52
Fatherof3 is offline   Reply With Quote