The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
Anchorism

Rochester Rebuild?

So the 454 that I'm currently rebuilding is getting close to being complete. The last part that I need to decide what to do with is the carburetor. It had the original Rochester Q-jet. What I am wondering is how good are the original Q-jets? My cousin is saying that they aren't that great and I should look for something better. The problem with that is im on a tight budget. I think a $35 rebuild kit is worth giving it a shot. He stated that the throttle shaft tends to wear out allowing a vacuum leak. So is it worth attempting the rebuild or should I start searching for something different?
Anchorism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
bnoon

Re: Rochester Rebuild?

If the throttle shafts are worn, the best solution is to replace the bushings. http://quadrajetparts.com/rochester-...-c-128_34.html

If you don't know what you are doing, do a Google search for Mountain Man Fuel Systems (seller on Ebay). I've used two of his rebuilds and they are a work of art. He does the epoxy fill fix (for anti-drain back issues), replaces worn parts, etc. and does it on an exchange basis for no down time. Well worth it if you don't have the time or knowledge to handle these things yourself.
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Oh this thread is going to explode here in a bit....

This is an age old argument. There are many that love the Q-Jet, and probably many more that hate it. I am on the love side of the fence. It is an outstanding carburetor when PROPERLY rebuilt. It is, however, a little more complicated than some of it's aftermarket competitors. If you've never rebuilt a carb before, I would recommended either getting someone to help you or buying a good how to book on the q-jet specifically.

You could spend $35 on a rebuild out and about $20 on a good book and end up with a great carb. If you don't think you're ready to tackle it, spend the $200 for a new carb of your choice and call it a day.

If it were me, I would rebuild it. No carb makes that wonderful throaty sound at WOT like a Q-jet spread bore. Just my .02.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
rich weyand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Oh this thread is going to explode here in a bit....

This is an age old argument. There are many that love the Q-Jet, and probably many more that hate it. I am on the love side of the fence. It is an outstanding carburetor when PROPERLY rebuilt. It is, however, a little more complicated than some of it's aftermarket competitors. If you've never rebuilt a carb before, I would recommended either getting someone to help you or buying a good how to book on the q-jet specifically.

You could spend $35 on a rebuild out and about $20 on a good book and end up with a great carb. If you don't think you're ready to tackle it, spend the $200 for a new carb of your choice and call it a day.

If it were me, I would rebuild it. No carb makes that wonderful throaty sound at WOT like a Q-jet spread bore. Just my .02.
Agreed in all respects.

Rebuild it with the Cliff Ruggles book. You don't have to worry about tuning all the air bleeds and such if it is going back on the same engine.
How to Rebuild and Modify Rochester Quadrajet... How to Rebuild and Modify Rochester Quadrajet...

If you don't want to rebuild it, and are going to buy a rebuilt carb, get one from Sean Murphy. He will ask you a bunch of questions so he can send you one with all the air bleeds and such set up properly.
http://www.smicarburetor.com/

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
Anchorism

The nice thing is my cousin is a great carb tuner.... he knows what he's doing. He just feels that the old Q-jet from 1979 might be quite worn out!
Anchorism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
bnoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorism View Post
The nice thing is my cousin is a great carb tuner.... he knows what he's doing. He just feels that the old Q-jet from 1979 might be quite worn out!
Worn out, but totally rebuildable. Everything that your quadrajet needs is available in the aftermarket.
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #7
mrolds88

The worst thing about the 79 Qjet would be worn shaft bushings. The later "electronic" units I do not care for at all. But those earlier ones are good to go. At least you can tune them. I would go with the rebuild on the carb you have.
87 K10 Suburban Sold
93 K2500 xcab 6.5TD
96 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD
mrolds88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

going to rebuild my 79s QJet,swapping two to four is the plan
fed up with the 78s holley
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote