The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
UATahoe

Gauging interest in machined aluminum door pull covers, check it out

Have this posted up in the truck section but know you guys have the same setup. I got tired of replacing the cheap plastic door strap covers in my 87 pickup so i fabricated my own out of aluminum. They fit perfect and are almost an identical representation of the stock pieces. let me know what you guys think.

A complete set of 4 would be $135 plus shipping, but i would need to get a pretty healthy list of committed buyers(probably 20 for me to be able to absorb the remaining cost risk). Thats pretty much me breaking even on making these things. Its a pretty substantial up front investment given the quantity i am having to order to get that price but i wanted to make them as affordable as possible.

I will say this though. These things are awesome and they will be the last set you ever buy for your truck. They fit great and wont be popping off everytime you shut the door. No more broken prongs to deal with or fear of using the door strap. They really are a high quality piece and in my mind a good long term investment. I have had my truck now for 3 years and have gone through 3 sets already. Got to the point on my dads 87 that we just didnt replace them and were left looking at ugly bolts and brackets.

I have the part at one other shop to see if i can get that cost down a little bit. Should know more this evening or tomorrow. Any and all feedback is appreciated!
Attached Images

Last edited by UATahoe; 04-25-2014 at 09:43 AM.
UATahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
wauto

Re: Gauging interest in machined aluminum door pull covers, check it out

They look very nice. But $300 to do my burb would be painful
wauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I saw these earlier today in the pickup section, they look really great. You could paint a black pinstripe around the edge on the "step" and it would look similar enough to stock to fool most people.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
UATahoe

Yep, that's where I had it posted first. Forgot all about the guys here with the same covers. Doing 4 doors would definitely be steep. The benefit though is that it would be the last set you ever needed.

Could even get them powder coated if you want. I'm hoping to get the price down to around $135 but I don't see it getting much better than that.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
UATahoe

Heard back from the other shop this morning. They were able to come down to the $135. Not sure if this changes anything as far as interest but wanted to post and see. They are working on one piece for me now so i can make sure the quality stays the same.