The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
scorpion1110

My Last Project

Let me start by saying thank you for letting me become part of this great community!

I have decided to do a 67-72 project. I currently have a 1972 GMC 1ton camper special- I have heard it referred to as a Longhorne. However I am looking for something special to build.

But its going to be my last project. And here is why.

About 5 years a trip to the doctors led to removal of a cyst in my throat. A botched biposy led to a diagnosis of malignant throat cancer though of a relatively low grade. 7 surgeries later with the last in February and I finally was told its incurable- though the doc says unlikely to kill me. However its a tumor that will keep coming back- and each surgery gets harder. While the tumor wont it seems, as I get older the likelihood is that the surgery probbaly will at some point. So to clear my mind and focus on something else, I have decided to do one more project- but it will be my last.

I am going to do a 67-72 shortbed.

The truck will have a 350ci with a Muncie M20. The motor will run an intake that takes 4 Weber 48IDAs with spun aluminum velocity stacks which will peek out of the hood. Think about the look of the original hotwheels redlines

It will sport 5-lug americans, have tilt, a tach and houndstooth dressed buckets.ideally its a fleetside but a step wont be turned away. All I need is complete. Condition can be average and drivetrain un-important.

So the search begins.

If any of you have or know of a short truck in the MD/VA/PA area thats reasonably priced, please ping me.

This project will be documented on the forum and I promise to post pics every week. I am not a pro but will share what I do and try and be of help. And hopefully you guys will share your insights candidly.

And if any of you is a survivor of this rotten disease, dont hesitate to drop me a note. Sometimes you just need to talk to someone who deals with the same thing. And I am a pretty decent listener.

Thanks to this very cool site for a place to learn about these trucks. As I have watched the members interact, I realized this was a group I wanted to be a part of.

And thanks for listening- be well folks.

S

The more money you make the less happiness you have.

My Build: The Little Tiger

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=630564
scorpion1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
trac209

Re: My Last Project

Sorry about your run of bad health. Sometimes getting your mind off something like that with a project or goal can be a healing experience. Hopefully it does for yourself. Wishing you good luck with your health and finding that new project.
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I wish you all the best with your health. I'm attaching a link ( there is even a video in the ad ) to a reasonably priced decent short box Chevy that is just a touch off your target areas.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221421509442...84.m1423.l2649

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
scorpion1110

Thanks for the notes! Looked hard at the Carlisle PA car show for a project but no luck. Trying to find one locally but no luck yet.

I did just post an ad to trade or sell my 1965 Galaxie convertible for a decent project.

Will keep looking!

Thx

Old 04-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
davepl

Wish you all the best, but don't go into ANYTHING with the assumption it's your last. I'd rather you had four projects queued up and didn't make it to them than continuing to face your health issues with the tacit assumption that you've only got time for one. That's one reason that doctors don't like giving "how long do I have" numbers as they can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Anyway, good luck on your search! Don't be too picky on your candidate truck in terms of it being a special unit - I looked for YEARS for a big block short bed AC w/tach etc and "settled" on a Longhorn with big block, AC, buckets, console, etc. Love it though, and I consider it a "real" truck instead of a fake sports car with a box. No offense to short box owners, we all know that's where it's at for most folks.

Put another way, get something unmolested and make it yours rather than spending a year undoing some other guy's hacks and mistakes.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:38 PM   #6
Evaded

Good luck on the search and your Health man. Stay positive. Had a very rough year in 2012.. I know its hard.

Evaded
Old 05-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #7
scorpion1110

Found it.

1968 Chevy SWB. No motor or trans. Truck was in a body shop and it started to be parted out and then stopped. Front clip was gone except for hood. Bed was gone and seat, gas tank and steering column and pedals.

Original short stepside, 6cyl, three on tree, radio delete.

Truck came in boxes.

This Saturday I picked up a fleetside bed, traded for a passenger fender, bought a seat, Tilt, PS, a 5 lug rear and a 5 lug front DB set-up.

Still needs a driver fender.

The cab is reasonable but needs some repair, frame nice, cab and frame numbers match and it has the P-O-P.

Still documenting parts and getting an idea of what is needed.

I will keep everyone updated as to the build.

Thx
Attached Images