The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Oh boy! Cadillac horns!

So my dad found the 3 Cadillac horns he came across in a junkyard Lord knows when. And he found this old VW Beetle horn he had and gave all four to me.

The VW horn works because we tested it.

I don't plan on using the VW horn on my truck......I plan to hook up the 3 Caddy horns to be the truck's main horn and then get an Ooga horn to use as a gag.

My dad installed an extra horn button under the dash for when the horn button on the steering wheel went out. When I fix that, the Caddy horns will hook to that and the Ooga will hook to the extra button.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
Jurassic-1

Re: Oh boy! Cadillac horns!

I have Caddy horns on all my trucks. The 3rd trumpet horn gives it the cool sound.
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
litew8

Both my OE horns are fried. Remember reading about the Cadillac horns a while back and will eventually try sourcing some to replace the OE.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
hugger6933

If they are similar to the later stuff the two horn system used on say 88-98 trucks used a low note horn and a high note horn. I think the Caddy horn is the same but it may have the mid range to make it all blast out. You can take two high note horns and place on the same truck then when you come up behind someone they think it is an angry Import but it is a large truck! surprised looks everytime. I also liked putting two lows on a S-10 so a person would think a big huge truck is coming down on them.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
hugger6933

has any one looked to see if the other large luxo cars from that size and day have the three horn set up? Like the full sized Olds Pontiac, or Buick ? They very well might. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
Steve Hafner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic-1 View Post
I have Caddy horns on all my trucks. The 3rd trumpet horn gives it the cool sound.
. . . .

What "years" were the "four note horn" system used on Cadillac's ?

Last edited by Steve Hafner; 04-26-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #7
BigMike

I just picked up a 4-note (A,C,D & F) horn set. These horns were only available in the larger GM cars such as Riviera, Roadmaster, Park Avenue, Bonneville, Oldsmobile 98 and some Cadillac Seville, Eldorado and Deville from the late 1980's to mid 1990's (as far as I can tell). I haven't gotten them yet but can't wait to put them in. Right now I don't have any horn so this will be nice.

BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
ole dollor

very good idea...a horn can't be to loud..lol
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
BigMike

Here is a good video of the sound
Old 04-26-2014, 10:24 PM   #10
Jurassic-1

What years were the 4 horn setup on?
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:29 PM   #11
BigMike

Read post #7 ^
Old 04-27-2014, 12:52 AM   #12
In The Ten Ring

Well that's neat! Thanks for the video.

My dad said there were only 3 horns in the Caddy he came across....maybe I can find the 4th horn later...
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:36 AM   #13
BigMike

Okay, been reading more on these puppies. I guess there are a few things you need to do to make sure your horns will keep working and not blowing fuses. You need to hook them up in pairs using TWO relays, two horns per relay. I guess one is not sufficient. I found a link that gives a pretty good idea as to how to hook them up properly. Using inline fuses is optional but recommended, that's how I will hook up mine. Cadillac 4-Note Horns

I bought mine off eBay for $55 shipped (got them today BTW). Some have bought them from wrecking yards & Pick A Parts (which I have none close by) for around $20 or so depending. So if you have a wrecking yard close by, check out some of the 70's 80's or 90's big boat GM cars. Now I have also found that a lot of them in the 70's and early 80's had a little bit different tone depending on which GM car, Pontiac, Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Buick, etc... in the mid (or so) 80's they all stated sounding more or less the same tone. Also, the newer ones have 2 plugs, power & ground...mine has one for power and uses the mount as ground.

Had nothing really better to do today so I spent the majority of it looking for more information. The above information is just what I found off of Google, weeding through lots of sites where guys are trying to find more info on these like we are. So if any of the info is off a little I don't know, but it seems most of the sites tell the same info about the years and cars. I guess some of the Caddy's have two horns under each front fender, so they are easier to spot. Also, be sure to look for the note stamped (or raised) on each horn A-C-D & F. Try to get some of the wire as well (if needed) and good luck.

I will try to post/edit information as I find it.

Mike

EDIT: Cool! - The History of the Delco-Remy Divsion of General Motors - Check out the whole site, very cool old pictures and information about Delco-Remy.

Scroll towards the bottom and it gives you which cars had which horns. Cars listed under ""Deep-Tone "D Note"" had the 3-note setup and cars listed under ""Penetone "High C Note"" had the 4-note setup

Can always go this route
Or
A Ferry horn

"Do I make you h0rny baby, OH YEAH!" Sorry...couldn't resist

Last edited by BigMike; 04-27-2014 at 06:59 AM.