The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
Rednek13x

camaro clip install question

has anyone installed a gen 2 camaro clip on a 3/4 ton frame? Im about ready to start measuring up and cutting, but noticed that from about the front cab mount forward the bottom side of the frame rails taper upward.

Do 1/2 trucks do this or are they parallel all the way to the front?

This will throw off my rake, is that going to be ok, or am i going to have to figure out how to mount it parallel?
Rednek13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:07 PM   #2
Flames97

Re: camaro clip install question

1/2 tons also have a taper.

'15.5 Chevy Duramax LTZ/Z71, LML, CC/SB
'77 Chevy K10, 4" lift, 33-12.50, 350/350
'55 Chevy Short Box (In Pieces)MII,4-link,Bagged,383 Stroker,700r4,3.73posi (SOLD)
My 55.2 Chevy 3100 Build
Flames97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:12 PM   #3
Flames97

I'm trying to think, but when I did one the way that No Limit does them, I was behind the taper (just in front of the cab mount however many inches it was) and it didn't affect it any. I put it in place measured and made sure the anti dive angle was correct.
If you do it the other way...which I've never done..but have seen a lot, where you keep the stubs on the camaro sub and slide it under the stock frame it makes it parallel automatically and I don't think the taper is an issue there either.
I'm sure more will comment with their experience.

'15.5 Chevy Duramax LTZ/Z71, LML, CC/SB
'77 Chevy K10, 4" lift, 33-12.50, 350/350
'55 Chevy Short Box (In Pieces)MII,4-link,Bagged,383 Stroker,700r4,3.73posi (SOLD)
My 55.2 Chevy 3100 Build
Flames97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:52 PM   #4
mr48chev

It is an absolute must that you have the subframe and the frame on an exact parallel plane with each other when you put them together. You DO NOT build rake into the splice in the subframe and frame or you will have one more screwed up subframe job no matter what the clowns tha advocate building a rake into the splice say.
This is the definitive Task force/ Camaro subframe job thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=148978 His instructions are very detailed while being very easy to follow.

Here is a link to my album showing one of the frames my buddy subframed. He has lost count of how many he has done since the late 70's http://s173.photobucket.com/user/mr4...?sort=4&page=1 You can see how he does it there.

On both of my rigs that I subframed I set the subframe on a block that was the same thickness as the ground clearancie of the stock Camaro. Then I set the vehicle receiving the subframe LEVEL at the static ride height I wanted to end up in the front with when I was done. The Merc sat level when I was done but the 48 had a rake via the tire stagger and the rear suspension setup.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 04-26-2014 at 12:00 AM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
Rednek13x

The picture shows my concern, its dramatic but so you get what im talking about. I went out and did a quick measurement and i dont think it will be a problem.

I get how you did it, but do not have a camaro to check ride height, and im also going to be on air ride if that makes a difference. Im just going to mate the two at parallel.

Im also doing it following the jalopy journal thread where you keep the subframe horns and weld it to the under side of the truck frame.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
Rednek13x

im not sure yet but from my quick measure, im going to have to cut somewhere around the green line. That should be before is starts to taper up.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
mr48chev

I think you can usually figure that a Camaro crossmember is about 6-1/2 inches off the ground at the bottom of the center with stock tires. At least the ones we have measured have been close to that. Early 70's second generation Trans Am's were lower though as they had special blocks that bolted to the lower A arms to raise them up a bit to get them on the transport trucks but that may have been because of the spoilers too.
The one my buddy did above is about as low as you want to go as it sets the bottom of the truck frame at the same height as the Camaro subframe legs sit. That was going to be a right on the ground truck but The truck's owner passed away and my buddy got the frame for money owed for the work. That is the reason I said previously that you want to figure out as close as you can what your static height will be when done so you can get it as close as you can.

As for trimming the frame to fit the subframe I found that a little bit at a time is the way to go. You might want to make templates of the subframe to lay against the frame to mark the frame for trimming.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
Aaronoregon

It's not rocket science. Cut the old frame rail straight up and down and then split it open like a banana peel by cutting it on the top and bottom corners where it rolls under and over. From there slide the camaro sub "into" the peeled open frame, measure for about an hour, measure again for about an hour and weld it in and box it. I like cross measuring as far back on the frame as possible. I actually use reference holes way back under the bed. This will give more of a stock look and not look morphadited underneath your stock frame. Don't forget to move your subframe forward an inch to center it better in the wheel well by using the hole where the top of the shock comes through. It's really not hard at all once you get started. Just intimidating at first. Good luck! Here's the last one I did a couple months ago. You can see where the stock frame banana peels over the top of the subframe. You can't see it, but it actually does on the outside of the frame also. You also want your upper a-arm on the subframe to angle down around 6-8 degrees for alignment.

Aaron

Last edited by Aaronoregon; 04-28-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Aaronoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
mr48chev

That's the other way of doing it and the way I did my 48 but unless It's a full bore show rig I think I'd rather keep the rear legs of the subframe and have them attached to the truck's frame for a lot more weld surface on the splice.