The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
cleansquare
Account Suspended

quality of lmc/classicparts stuff? long list to order

Guys, the truck will be out of paint within two weeks. I plan on making an order from lmc/classic parts tomorrow. What i plan on ordering:

Front bumper
Roll of chrome trim (34') cut to fit
Under taillight alum trim pieces
door handles and gaskets
side fender markers for an 85...cant find them all amber with alum trim?
The door felt kit, includes all to do windows and such
door weatherstripping
Dual headlight bezels in CHROME
The alum piece under the rear glass
rear glass rubber with chrome

I may be forgetting a few things. Anyone have any input in these? I know the lmc vent window seals SUCK cause they crack soon after installation, was worried about the rest. Thanks!
cleansquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
ramz

Re: quality of lmc/classicparts stuff? long list to order

I ordered the door handles, gaskets, weatherstripping. I didnt have any problems with them
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:52 PM   #3
cleansquare
Account Suspended

Thanks..what all did the door handles come with? I couldnt see a way to remove the handle except pulling the rod from the latch assembly in the door, then pulling the rod out of the handle?
Old 04-27-2014, 12:26 AM   #4
Sodell

The new doors handles will have two gaskets with each handle. I have ordered a bunch of parts from LMC, with no problems, but found the handles on ebay much cheaper. Be sure to put some tape around the hole to protect the paint until you get the rod reconnected. I would also suggest buying your seals from these guys, I have had great luck with them and I believe their product is superior to anything else around (also about the same price). http://precisionrestorationparts.com/

Also make sure you visually check your vent seals to see if you have one or two piece.

If you are putting the windows back in yourself you will save yourself a lot of headache buying a "locking strip tool" to put the rubber chrome back in.

87 Chevy 2WD SWB, 88 4x4 LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610652
Sodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:28 AM   #5
Sodell

Side marker lights

http://www.ebay.com/itm/81-91-SUBURB...82024640&rt=nc

Old 04-27-2014, 12:30 AM   #6
cleansquare
Account Suspended

Youre awesome
Old 04-27-2014, 12:42 AM   #7
Sodell

One other tidbit; check this thread for the side trim install, he explains it well and uses a great tool to cut the trim.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5965989

Old 04-27-2014, 01:20 AM   #8
tucsonjwt

I guess I am the odd one. I have been disappointed with LMC quality lately.
For me, OEM (new or good used) is the way to go.

Specifically for you:

Bumpers have not been well reported here - chrome flakes off after a year or two, and the quality of the chrome is nothing like OEM. I bought a good quality used bumper for about $50 at the junkyard - a few scratches but no dents or twists - my truck is not a show truck.

Chrome trim does not hold up out here in the desert - turns brown and flakes off in a few months - so I took mine off and will have a body shop weld up the holes and go for the bare naked look.

Under taillight alum trim pieces - I have no experience with buying these - I took mine off and will unload them on Ebay some day - filling in the body holes like the other trim.

The door felt kit, includes all to do windows and such - be careful on these, and the door weatherstripping. I got some on Ebay and some from LMC - poor quality on both. People seem to like the Precision brand.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:00 AM   #9
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

i have got the corner trim pcs below the taillights rear bumper chrome trim pre cut n the vent window rubbers an haven't had any problems at all wth them or anything else i have got threw lmc
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #10
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I used a lot of it while restoring mine.. some was pure junk others were ok

Front bumper: cheap chrome must keep polishing
Roll of chrome trim (34') cut to fit : good stuff
Under taillight alum trim pieces : ok
door handles and gaskets chrome is cheap but gaskets ok
side fender markers for an 85...cant find them all amber with alum trim? poor fittment
The door felt kit, includes all to do windows and such good
door weatherstripping good
Dual headlight bezels in CHROME did not use
The alum piece under the rear glass did not use
rear glass rubber with chrome gasket is ok front windshield gasket is too big

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #11
chevymadness

I ordered pretty much most chrome in cab the billet steel cover for the dash gauges is my fav damn nice.The chrome door panel stripes are meh..soft and pretty much crap and won't last as far as durability I scratched them by putting them on if you are a ruff guy they will not last but if you can handle there tedious pretty look then they are fine.The dash chrome strip was my biggest problem and site under my seat all broken(it was expensive).Its extremely hard to get on as you pretty much have to remove the whole damn dash to put back screws on.I chose to just stab it on front and hoped it held up without screws but it just fellof day after day and cracked on the side vent area.The side mirrors are very nice and in this extreme heat weather I see no problem.I ordered the grill and I wouldn't again it looks cookie cutter fakey..If I would do it again to hell with lmc I would fabricate my own material or get original product and chrome it!.All the chrome scratches and overal sucks ass.

It's all about original guys original let me say again original.
chevymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #12
bigd65

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansquare View Post
Thanks..what all did the door handles come with? I couldnt see a way to remove the handle except pulling the rod from the latch assembly in the door, then pulling the rod out of the handle?
they are a pain in the butt
bigd65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #13
bigd65

the under tail light aluminum trim, i removed from my truck. not dented or anything. you can have if you pay shipping. just needs to be retored, painted etc.... i just dont want to throw them away, the wife is on me to get rid of the parts im not using
Old 05-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #14
chevymadness

[QUOTE=chevymadness;6687234]I ordered pretty much most chrome in cab the billet steel cover for the dash gauges is my fav damn nice.The chrome door panel stripes are meh..soft and pretty much crap and won't last as far as durability I scratched them by putting them on if you are a ruff guy they will not last but if you can handle there tedious pretty look then they are fine.The dash chrome strip was my biggest problem and site under my seat all broken(it was expensive).Its extremely hard to get on as you pretty much have to remove the whole damn dash to put back screws on.I chose to just stab it on front and hoped it held up without screws but it just fellof day after day and cracked on the side vent area.The side mirrors are very nice as far as chrome plating and in this extreme heat weather I see no problem BUT there seals suck ass! And i have to constantly tighten them to stay still making them utterly useless all the time.I just use them for looks don't plan on using them..I ordered the grill and I wouldn't again it looks cookie cutter fakey..If I would do it again to hell with lmc I would fabricate my own material or get original product and chrome it!.All the chrome scratches and overal sucks ass.All the chrome internal interior is gel coated which almost seems like a laminate coat is TERRIBLE.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #15
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

It's a crap shoot, i've ordered parts from LMC,Classic Parts, Classic Industries and Brothers, and the Truck Shop. Most parts were good and some not so good, none will measure up to OEM but sometimes good enough is good enough
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #16
05duramaxhd

I like classic parts better. they have way better customer service. I will tell you I had issues with my new door handles. I had to take them apart and trim the back of the handle button. it wouldn't let the door unlock without doing this. might want to compair the old with new before installing. Took me 2 days and 3 latch assy before i figured this out.
05duramaxhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #17
77c10

I ordered door handles and locks from Classic Parts. Seem to be ok.

I order front marker lights and tail lights from Rock Auto. Pleased so far.
77 C10, 6.0LS/4L80E, 3:73 12 bolt. Boss 338's 20" x 10" w/ 285/50/20 rear. 20" x 8.5" w/ 245/40/20 front. Vintage Air. Full Autometer gauges recessed in factory bezel (Thanks bigblock73!) Gm Storm Grey Metallic paint

"Cool ain't ever cheap and cheap ain't ever cool"
77c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #18
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Many of the LMC parts (majority of which are knock-off parts form outside the USA) are very close on fit and finish.
the metal trim pieces for the square body trucks, such as what fits around the front grille are not done very well, so the fit is lousy. As stated aboe the game is a crapshoot from the GIT-GO.

It is the same everywhere, due to most of these parts undoubtedly come from the same manufacturers. If you can get factory pieces, then by all means do so. Since you are shooting for a good finish, it will make your truck look much better, in the long run. Things like this are easy to see, if you are being judged or scrutinized closely.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #19
bigd65

New door handles from LMC ..... No problems
Old 05-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #20
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

also forgot the grille trim fits like poo an also the seat belts suck!!! the carpet is hit an miss also
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #21
Corts60
Just here to tinker

I ordered a new brushed aluminum dash bezel from Classic Industries for my '78 and I am very un-impressed. I haven't tried to fit it yet, but just the quality of it is borderline. My truck is non-a/c and all they do is bolt on a pocket to cover the upper vent and put the brushed aluminum paneling over the lower vent hole. Very chinsy. Then they hand paint with an aluminum paint pen around the gauge holes and heater/radio holes. Obviously hand painted because there is holidays in the paint and they didn't even try to get it accurate. I'm only upset because it was the most expensive re-pop bezel ($210) and it is garbage as far as I'm concerned. I'll post pics soon.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:52 PM   #22
chevymadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
I ordered a new brushed aluminum dash bezel from Classic Industries for my '78 and I am very un-impressed. I haven't tried to fit it yet, but just the quality of it is borderline. My truck is non-a/c and all they do is bolt on a pocket to cover the upper vent and put the brushed aluminum paneling over the lower vent hole. Very chinsy. Then they hand paint with an aluminum paint pen around the gauge holes and heater/radio holes. Obviously hand painted because there is holidays in the paint and they didn't even try to get it accurate. I'm only upset because it was the most expensive re-pop bezel ($210) and it is garbage as far as I'm concerned. I'll post pics soon.
The dash bezel is what I was saying is my favorite I have a 82 silverado tho and it comes just as a brushed steel type of Cnc machined piece of billet aluminum and looks great with my black interior but it's not proprietary equipment you'd make a better piece in the shop and it bolts down by just screws.I also have the side mirrors mirrors and I forgot to say they look very nice but that's just it there just for show and useless for everything else because the don't stay put the seals broke after 1 year and from day one they pissed me off.I presto much use them for slapping around when I'm mad or resting my hand when driving.The interior chrome almost seems like its gel coated or laminate making it f$)$& terrible and scratches by anything.