The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2003, 01:11 AM   #1
lofat
Rollin' Member

switching out the bench for buckets

looking to do the buckets with a console/fold down middle seat on a budget.

i am wondering what fits, what needs to be custom done, etc, etc.

i know i'll prolly need to buy the console, unless i find a newer truck in the junkyard.

basically i am clueless - any war stories or advise appreciated.

lofat productions
lofat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 02:03 AM   #2
chevychic

I'm getting ready to install my buckets in my truck the beginning of August. I got mine from a pick and pull yard here for $20 for both. They're out of a Toyota Corolla and are pretty comfy. You can pretty much make any seat fit with some modifications. A friend of mine is welding up some brackets so my seats will bolt in. Another friend of mine installed some Honda seats into his 84 with a little bit of modification.
I'll be getting a fold down center console eventually and will probably be going the new route. They're spendy...about $300 online but they seem nice and have quite a bit of storage area.
You can also occasionally find factory fold down consoles on Ebay. There were 2 that just ended this week but ended at $220 (ish). I'd rather spend an extra $80 to have the one I've been looking at online and have the option of picking the color, although if I could get a factory console at a decent price, I'd jump on it.
The factory console looks like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2423186580 and is out of a late model Chevy.

Here are some links to places to get buckets and/or consoles:

At The Mart

Sport Truck Direct

New Sales

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:25 AM   #3
dacanuck

Ask "Swervin Ervin" about center consoles. On his website he provides diagrams to make a nice one, and you can go from there to suit your own needs. He's got a really nice website anyway, so check it out.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:38 AM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Be careful of the New Sales link Heather gave above. It is Salesco under a new web address. They had such a bad rep with the other one, they have a new domain name. It is the same sorry bunch of pricks I went through. I love my seats, but I wouldn't buy anything else from them for sure. It ain't worth the trouble to me. I'd rather pay more money than to die from all the stress.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 12:18 PM   #5
gldevall

Hey Mike, what happened with the seats? I'm about to get some and qas looking at them.
-2004 Z-71 Extended cab with a flowmaster, BDS 6.5", 3" BL, 35x12.5x18 Trail Grapplers on Pro-Comp 18x9 wheels
gldevall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 12:56 PM   #6
dacanuck

Oops, didn't see that you wanted a folding middle seat. Try looking at older/base model tractor trailer passenger seats. I don't remember if they fold down or not, but some are pretty simple and close to flimsy. You could make one fold if you had to. Also check out seats from construction equipment. Can't think of any off the top of my head that fold but I'm sure there's some. Just a thought.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:17 PM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Gary,

nothing at all wrong with the seats. But, Salesco is, well like I said, a bunch of pricks. When I ordered my seats, the guy told me it would be 10 to 14 days. This turned into almost 8 weeks. The only way I got them then was to call every day. Finally, Salesco gave me the number of the company who actually makes the seats for them, a place named Eurotec, in California. Another bunch of pricks, who lie like it is a natrual thing to do. They told me everytime I called, they were going out that day. I kept calling back asking for a tracking number. They wouldn't give me one, because they didn't have one. I told the girl at Eurotec to let me speak with the supervisor. Some foriegner came on the phone that I could barely understand. He gave me the run around. Said they would be going out the next day, to call back in two days and get the number. He told me plainly to ask for him when I called back. I called back and he wouldn't come to the phone.

I finally got pissed and called Salesco back and told them I wanted to speak to someone higher up. A very nice lady who was in charge got on the phone. I told here what was going on. She said, let me call them. I'll get something done. She did. I called Eurotec the next day and got a tracking number.

It wasn't so much the 7 weeks. It was all the lies. I'm one who can take a lot, but just don't tell me a lie. IMO, liers are lower than whale sh!t. Another thing that really ticked me off was Salesco charged my card the very day I called the order in. The credit card bill had been paid for over a month before I ever seen any seats. IMO, compaines shouldn't charge your card before something ships. Most don't, but they sure do.

Just as a so you know, Saleso has a bad rep on the California BBB. This is the reason they changed to a new domain name. If you buy seats from these jerks, be prepared to wait for awhile. You will get them, but don't count on it for a couple months.

As I said, I'm well satisfied with the seats, but the aggrevation ain't worth it to me. I'm getting too old for crap like that.

Mike
Old 07-30-2003, 03:09 PM   #8
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Tell us how you really feel, Mike. Don't hold back the anger...

Slonaker
Old 07-30-2003, 05:30 PM   #9
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Oh, sorry. Got carried away there for a minute.

I'm not mad any longer. I got over it.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 07-30-2003, 07:54 PM   #10
lofat
Rollin' Member

good feedback (Y)

i am going to start hunting. i'll need to find a cat who welds too.

lofat productions
lofat is offline   Reply With Quote