The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2003, 11:17 AM   #1
bagged74
its just $$$$$

N2Trux, or anyone else with a bagged truck and big wheels!

I am trying to figure out how I want to do my inner fenderwells in the front. I'm running a 245/40 20 on the front an everything is just in the way when I let the air out. I was just curious what you may have done to remedy this problem.
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:50 AM   #2
SCOTI

I can answer for N2TRUX (without stepping on toes). The front fenderwells on his truck are stock/uncut GM pieces. To limit interference, bumpstops were built @ the height needed to prevent the top of the tire from rubbing the bottom of the fenderwell. This also allows the emergency clearance needed in case of a bag related failure.

For his blazer, he went all out & raised the tops of the fenderwells to allow more travel. From what he's descibed, it was a VERY involved process to get it done smoothly.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:56 AM   #3
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

Since mine wont be a DD when I get it done on bags...Im Just gonna remove the inner fenders. Maybe then have some custom alum ones made for it.

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 12:33 PM   #4
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally posted by SCOTI
I can answer for N2TRUX (without stepping on toes).
Don't step on Daves either, they are already in baaaad shape.

...Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 12:51 PM   #5
low 84

lmao jeff...................i believe fiveightchevy just raised his stock inners on his 83

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 01:21 PM   #6
Izzy
Trucker.

Quote:
Originally posted by low 84
lmao jeff...................i believe fiveightchevy just raised his stock inners on his 83
Yep. Cut the inside wall of the fender out then raised up the fender well. I still need to patch/weld raised piece back in sometime soon. That'll have to be done w/ the new backhalf.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 02:51 PM   #7
bagged81
Signals in the bumper.

My wheels arent big, but I removed my fender wells. I will end up making some when I go to do the engine bay.
1936 Ford Pickup - Frame-off in progress link
1979 Chevrolet Camper Special Flatbed link
bagged81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 06:41 PM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Getting these trucks low is not easy. The rear is nothing different from the next truck. You notch the frame and get a decent amount of clearence. If you want to get really low you have to cut the bed out, or raise the bed floor up.

The front is a whole "nuther deal. You can't just cut out or remove the fender liner and be done. The inner side of the fender is in the way too. You can cut it out, and leave it that way if you don't care how it looks, but it isn't very pretty.

I chose to leave my 77 stock for appearence sake. That meant a comprimise in lowering. Like Scoti said, I had bump stops installed that would limit the travel. This allows the truck to roll in case of system failure, but it limits how low my truck can go. By todays standards, the 77 is not very low.

On my 82 Blazer I went the hard way. I had the inner fender cut and raised up about 4". Then the fender liner was sectioned and raised up too. All of this was filled and smoothed so it appears stock. It wasn't easy, or cheap.

Why go to this extreme? I plan to have a very detailed engine, and don't want the tires slinging crap on my painted motor.

Also, I can lay the A-arms about 1" off the ground and still roll with a 30" tall tire. To save you the math, that equates to a 285/35/22.

The best plan is to decide how low you "have" to be, and cut metal away till it rolls. I have seen the tops of trailer fenders used to fill the gaps. They are pretty cheap to buy, and can be cut fairly easy....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote