The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
FirstOwner69

Any Idea What this Wheel is From???

There have been 2 of these lying in a wooded lot across the road from me for about 35 years. For some reason I think they are from an early 50s Chevy truck or car. Tire size is 6.70-15.
Thanks!
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:05 AM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Any Idea What this Wheel is From???

Early to mid 50's car, should be a date stamp in side when you dismount the tire or stamped into the wheel near a lug hole
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:24 AM   #3
FirstOwner69

Thanks! I was thinking 53 or 54 car. I seem to recall seeing them when I was a kid.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:01 AM   #4
MARTINSR

Wish I had them, I need to collect a few more the ones I have are bit rusty.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:46 AM   #5
SHORTDOG99

49-54 Chevy car wheel. I'd snatch them up, dismount the tires, clean them up but do not re paint them, list them on e-bay. Good luck!
SHORTDOG99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
mr48chev

A set of those would look good on a mild custom truck with the little car hubcaps.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #7
OrrieG

Right now someone is looking for an original paint wheel for their patina car, grab them.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
Russell Ashley

They look surprisingly good to have been laying out for that long. If the back side is as solid as the front looks to be I'd definitely grab them.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #9
FirstOwner69

The one pictured is best. I really didn't dig the other one out, but the face is quite a bit rustier. As I said, I know they've just been lying there for at least 35 years. They aren't mine, but based on the comments here, maybe they should become mine! I've been thinking I should buy that lot. I called the owner and got a recording saying the line had been disconnected. I've never seen the owner at the lot.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
Russell Ashley

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but your picture made me think of something I found last month in the woods behind my house. Maybe we should start a thread called "woods finds", LOL. I've lived here for 28 years so these have been there for at least that long. I didn't see any other auto parts laying around but I'm thinking of going back with a metal detector to see what else might be back there.
Attached Images

Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #11
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but your picture made me think of something I found last month in the woods behind my house. Maybe we should start a thread called "woods finds", LOL. I've lived here for 28 years so these have been there for at least that long. I didn't see any other auto parts laying around but I'm thinking of going back with a metal detector to see what else might be back there.
It may be kinda fun to dig a little bit of info, pull them out and learn what they are from, maybe a local's car he rebuilt, you never know the kinda story that you could find. Could be interesting.

When I was a kid I saw some interesting wheels on a farmers trailer nearby. I took a closer look and found they were Pierce Arrow, one had a "12" on the cap and the other an "8". This is what they looked like.

I came home and talked to my dad, seems that in this cozy farming community there was on very rich very excentric farmer and his son in the early thirties got a Pierce Arrow. The car was crashed and trashed and our neighbor ended up with the front axle and wheels and made this trailer to haul plows.

He gave them to me along with the backing plates drums and spindles. They were BIG and weighed a ton. I brought them around to swap meets for a few years and never got a bite. I think I ended up throwing them away and later sold the caps on Hemmings for a few bucks.

But check this out, the rich farmer, this was an odd family! There were a few homes on this farm, BIG homes among the trees. When I was a kid my brother and I would sneak in there on our horses and just ride around. We came upon this beautiful yard with a paved driveway and rose bushes along the path and a foundation from a home that had been burnt. I later found out that the dad burnt the house to the ground because his son didn't live up to a deal and hadn't married and had a child by a certain date! Yeah, some weird stuff.

It's now a park and the original house and barns are museums, it's pretty cool. So I was out there one day at the park (they have Civil War reenactments and stuff like that) and I came across another small foundation. There was a sign there that read there use to be a building there that they bought from the 1939 Worlds Fair, it was a Japanese built building shipped here from Japan for the Fair. They made it a gardening shed for the wife. But it too burnt down to the ground....no big story, just that it had burnt, the date....Dec 8th 1943.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote