The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
mej005

Cam Position Sensor Question

I am helping a buddy swap an LS1 from a 97/98 corvette into his 67 C10. He is using a Camaro harness and ECM and we converted the engine from DBW to DBC because he didn't get the pedal or tac when he bought the engine. Everything works fine except for he is getting codes P0343 and P0342 for the cam sensor. The codes came up on the stock cam sensor so I told him to buy a sensor for a 2000 Camaro and he is still getting these codes. He has checked the wiring and all is good and he also pulled the front cover to check that the cam bolts were tight and they were. What am I missing? We don't have access to HPtuners, but he plans on taking it to a guy that does tunes when he gets the truck back together to see what he can find out. Is there anything I may have missed that we can check in the mean time?
mej005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:17 AM   #2
solidaxel

Re: Cam Position Sensor Question

Subed!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:16 AM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

The vette's came with a smaller cam than the Camaro's during those years. If your using the stock tune, your going to be a little off here and there. If the sensor was damaged, or in your case, replaced, you may want to see if a CASE relearn sync's the sensors and clears the code.

Search CASE relearn in the ls section here, or over on ls1tech and they can explain how it happens.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
mej005

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
The vette's came with a smaller cam than the Camaro's during those years. If your using the stock tune, your going to be a little off here and there. If the sensor was damaged, or in your case, replaced, you may want to see if a CASE relearn sync's the sensors and clears the code.

Search CASE relearn in the ls section here, or over on ls1tech and they can explain how it happens.
Thanks, I'll let him know. Do you think he should get a cam sensor for a 97/98 corvette also? It was throwing the code with the stock one, so I told hiim to get a Camaro cam sensor and it is still throwing the code. I know they are different part numbers, but couldn't find anything about what is different with the two. I googled case relearn and it sounds simple enough. Never heard of it until now, only crank relearn.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I don't have much info on the sensors at the moment. I doubt thats the problem tho, as we've had some pretty unusual combinations of parts, most of which can be made to work with the proper ecm programming.

the case relearn is crank angle vs cam angle. The phasing of those two sensors can also throw random misfire codes.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #6
mej005

Thanks again, and I'll update it when he takes it to a tuner to do the case relearn.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
mej005

I feel like an idiot; had two wires swapped on the cam sensor connector. For some reason the cam sensor connector on his harness was the wrong one and I had to change it; the pins went BAC on the schematic not ABC and that's where I messed up and swapped the A and B pins not paying attention. Runs fine now except for a torque convertor lockup issue.

Thanks for your help BR3W!
Old 05-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

No problem. Whats the lockup issue?

Old 05-31-2014, 08:37 PM   #9
mej005

I think it is not locking when it should and locking when it shouldn't. His father in law, that built the transmission, said he thought it was the tcc solenoid and they are in the process of getting a new solenoid.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:23 PM   #10
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Make sure the brake switch TCC wiring is hooked up correctly. Do you know what speeds your tune calls for lockup?

Old 06-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #11
mej005

The TCC wiring is correct. I don't know about the lockup speed, it's an ecm and tune from PSI. He is having problems with it stalling when put into gear sometimes and not always locking up when at highway speeds.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #12
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Hmmm, well if your still getting an codes that havent' cleared from the ECM, its possible the old crank/cam sensor problem is preventing lockup....but since you say its intermittent, I'm less inclined to think so .

I've previously had false knock/misfire detection prevent lockup, but thats due to a large lift low lsa cam.

Do you guys have the PRNDL/NSS hooked up?

Old 06-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #13
mej005

The NSS is not hooked up because he doesn't have a neutral safety switch on the truck. The wire coming from the ECM is grounded. This is a camaro/corvette motor not a truck so the wiring between the two is a little different. He is also not getting any codes since we swapped the wires around on the cam sensor and he is running a stock cam. The transmission was rebuilt by his father-in-law and he said the torque convertor was okay to reuse, but I'm leaning towards a faulty torque convertor or solenoid.