The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
tranz am

I need axle bearing info for my 12 bolt

I'm currently working or narrowing my frame and my 12 bolt. I have a couple options for axle bearings to chose from.
I am going to be using 1 of 2 Moser housing ends. I can use either the large ford style press on bearings with housing ends and custom order axles for $380 a pair, or use The 12 bolt Car ends that use the smaller bearings with ends and buy direct fit 1967 nova axles for $260.
The Nova axles are the correct length and spline for my application.
I would rather use the small housing ends if i can get away with it.

My question is when do the smaller bearings start to have issues? I'm guessing they are fine to use up to a certain speed and load but where that point is I'm unsure . Thanks!

Best 1/4 mile time 12.1 @ 111 w/traction issues

1969 GMC SWB
1964 chevy II Nova ht
tranz am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: I need axle bearing info for my 12 bolt

The issue becoms the small bearing = small diameter axle (lower spline count) i.e the ford early small bearing 9" with mustang ends you can only get a 31 spline axle through them. Start dead hooking a high HP car and you start twisting the ends off. I have a small pile of Strange and Dutchman 31 spline axles that look like

Don't try to put a lot of power to a small axle. It gets ugleeeeee

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:44 PM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Are the 12 bolt car ends you are looking at, for c-clip axles or pressed on bearings?

I would use which ever Moser housing end will work with the brakes you want to use. The Moser #7900 ends have the 12 boolt car backing plate hole pattern and accept the larger pressed on bearing. The Moser #7950 has the Impala/truck backing plate hole pattern and also takes the larger pressed on bearing. Granted the axles will cost you more, but I'm a believer in doing things the right way the first time.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:37 AM   #4
tranz am

Hey Marv, At this point I am stuck with a 30 spline Carrier. I was kind of having a hard time understanding what you wrote. Can you clarify this a little for me? Nasty breakage on that axle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
The issue becoms the small bearing = small diameter axle (lower spline count) i.e the ford early small bearing 9" with mustang ends you can only get a 31 spline axle through them. Start dead hooking a high HP car and you start twisting the ends off. I have a small pile of Strange and Dutchman 31 spline axles that look like

Don't try to put a lot of power to a small axle. It gets ugleeeeee

1969 GMC SWB
1964 chevy II Nova ht
Old 05-04-2014, 12:51 AM   #5
tranz am

Hey Captain, I'm considering 2 options here. One is using a pair of direct replacement 67 nova Moser axles that use the c clips, and the other option to buy custom made axles to use with larger press fit ford bearings.
I was considering the #7900 ends.
I want to be able to use a rear disc break system off a late modle F body car.

I like the thought of using a stock size axles (67 nova 12 bolt). But I dont want to break the axle or smoke bearings trying to save cash and time.
If the Moser direct replacement axles and small 12 bolt car bearings are up to the task at hand thats great. Will they hold up to 600hp possibly dead hooking? I don't know. Maybe not.

I'm up around 530hp at this point right now and I want to have to room for upgrading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Are the 12 bolt car ends you are looking at, for c-clip axles or pressed on bearings?

I would use which ever Moser housing end will work with the brakes you want to use. The Moser #7900 ends have the 12 boolt car backing plate hole pattern and accept the larger pressed on bearing. The Moser #7950 has the Impala/truck backing plate hole pattern and also takes the larger pressed on bearing. Granted the axles will cost you more, but I'm a believer in doing things the right way the first time.

1969 GMC SWB
1964 chevy II Nova ht
Old 05-04-2014, 12:56 AM   #6
tranz am

these are the axles I was considering.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msr-a123001/overview/

to ad to the confusion here. The truck will see corners as well as drag. Choosing the right axle seams to be quite a bit more involved than I anticipated.

1969 GMC SWB
1964 chevy II Nova ht
Old 05-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #7
PGSigns

One thing to think about is for drag racing you want no parts of a c-clip axle. It gets ugly when they break. Also if I remember right 11.99 and quicker no c-clips.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:05 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Depending on just what year F-body brakes you are wanting, they likely will not simply bolt up to the #7900 ends. I do make 3 different rear disc brake conversion brackets that will bolt up to the #7950 ends.

With 530 hp and wanting more, I would definitely go with a set of custom Moser axles with the pressed bearings now and not have to worry about it. Plus that way you can build the differential to the exact width that works best for your application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranz am View Post
Hey Captain, I'm considering 2 options here. One is using a pair of direct replacement 67 nova Moser axles that use the c clips, and the other option to buy custom made axles to use with larger press fit ford bearings.
I was considering the #7900 ends.
I want to be able to use a rear disc break system off a late modle F body car.

I like the thought of using a stock size axles (67 nova 12 bolt). But I dont want to break the axle or smoke bearings trying to save cash and time.
If the Moser direct replacement axles and small 12 bolt car bearings are up to the task at hand thats great. Will they hold up to 600hp possibly dead hooking? I don't know. Maybe not.

I'm up around 530hp at this point right now and I want to have to room for upgrading.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
tranz am

Looks like im going to fo the custom made axle with ford housing end. Not sure on the type of end yet though. I will be using chevy car and ford bolt pattern for a large selection of wheels.

1969 GMC SWB
1964 chevy II Nova ht