The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
closer9

Options for synchro'd first?

My long term goal is the A833 sitting in the garage, but until I do something with the underdash A/C I'm going to keep the 3 on the column, plus if it's not a daily driver it's kinda fun.

So, I recently picked up an 82 LWB for power steering and power disc brakes. (I posted a pic the other day, but screwed up my description and a mod moved it to the square body forum).

I've decided when it comes time to do the cross member swap, I'll pull the 283 and freshen it up a bit (only has 78K miles), and would like to find a way to add a first gear synchro while everything else is out. I'm not sure what years they added this though. I'm assuming, if I find the right box, it's just a box for box swap.

Thanks...

BTW, here is where I am with the 82. Ran out of steam today. Might try again tomorrow if I have time.

Even found a few good parts on it for the K5.
closer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #2
66Submarine

Re: Options for synchro'd first?

IIRC, '67 was the first year they started using the synchro-first Saginaw in place of the SM318 Muncie.

Can't remember what the deal is when using the column linkage; IIRC you might need to do a little modifying to make it work. (I don't have them in front of me to look at right now, but if you want I'll check tomorrow)
Old 05-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #3
closer9

Thanks! I'm in no hurry if you have something to reference. I have a '73 Saginaw from a column shift truck, but it's got a Dana 20 stuck to it.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
66Submarine

Oops! Good thing you aren't in a hurry, because I was busy and forgot today. (I knew I was forgetting something!) In the meantime, I did dig up this: http://rmcavoy.freeshell.org/66Truck/photos4.html
Quote:
In order to change from the existing SM-318 3-speed transmission to this SM-326, it looks like we'll have to change the following parts:

Driveshaft (looks like it needs to be shortened roughly 5" since the Saginaw transmissions (both regular & overdrive versions) are longer)
Slip yoke (SM-318 has 16 spline output shaft while the SM-326 has a 27 spline shaft)
Column shift linkage (looks like the 1st/rev rod might need to be modified since that lever is farther back on the Saginaw trans)
Speedometer cable (looks like it might need to be longer since the hookup point is farther back on the Saginaw trans as well)
Speedometer gear (will likely need to be changed to calibrate the speedometer)
Which agrees with my memory. The Saginaw bearing retainer may also need to be turned down or replaced with a car version to fit the early bellhousing--I think the transmissions that came in trucks 68-up were 5-1/8" instead of 4-11/16" IIRC? (I need to go to bed and let my feeble mind recharge...)
Old 05-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
closer9

Hmmm... Thanks a bunch. Not a lot, but if I'm going to have to change/modify the driveshaft and shift linkage I might as well just keep it as is till I'm ready for the A833.

I'll just focus on steering and brakes, and since pulling the engine seems to make it easier I can freshen it up. Probably going to go with headers and 4bbl while I'm at it, plus if I open it up, may look into cam options.