The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
Joe Link

How much would I be looking at to finish this frame-off 6.0L project?

I'm considering buying a project a friend of mine started then lost interest in, a 1972 K10 long bed. I have a bit of experience with rebuilding old vehicles and I'd really like to expand this skill set, so I think this would be the perfect project for that. My father is very experienced in this area, we just don't have a project on which I can learn. I'm almost certain this would be a good buy, but I have no estimate as to how much it would likely cost to complete this project.

Complete 6.0L LQ4 or LQ9 (unsure which) with 8x,xxx miles and all accessories.
4L80E Transmission
6" Skyjacker Full Spring Lift
Bilstein 5100 Series Lifetime shocks.
Dana 44 Front Axle, 14 Bolt Rear Axle. Both fully rebuilt with new 4.56 gears.
Rear disc brake conversion brackets.
Boyd Welding EFI stealth rear in frame fuel tank.
Fully sand blasted and coated frame.
Procomp raised steering arm.
Energy Suspension bushings and cab mounts.
Original 350 with Edelbrock carb and intake.
Original TH350 transmission.

I could choose to put the 6.0L/4L80E in my Land Cruiser and rebuild the original 350, or put it in this truck. Ideally I'd like to put it in this truck, but I'm unsure of the cost.

I could likely purchase everything for $4500, which is a good deal, but again I want to know a ballpark figure to complete the restoration. I'd be learning and doing everything I can myself, including the body work, but I'd have someone else paint it.

Photos are attached, including one before the truck was disassembled.

Thanks guys!
Attached Images

Joe Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
Kennuck

Re: How much would I be looking at to finish this frame-off 6.0L project?

Looks like a good start but lots left to do. If you want a complete restoration including nice new paint and body I would say your still looking at 15k to finish this truck.
3:73 gears, Boyd's Tank
2.5 / 4 drop 5 lug disc brakes
Vintage Air
18x8 Ridlers 255/55 frt. 18x9.5 275/60 rear
Kennuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
Nitis

From the pictures if you are content with how it looks probably not a ton of money

You are going to need some various adapters and a new cross member. Roughly $1000 in hard parts. Some wiring help or maybe you can donit your self.

The big big money is going to be doing the body.

If you can get it all for $4500 you could sell that engine and trans and get at least half that back if not more to help fund the rest of you build.
Nitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
davepl

Make sure this is the actual truck you want and that you want to spend the next year or three working on. The convenience of a deal wears off quickly, but rust is forever.

The biggest problem with picking up someone else's unfinished project is usually a combination of missing pieces (no matter how much they protest they have everything, they don't) and a lack of organization of what they do have.

If you had taken this truck apart yourself, you'd have 700 photos, each fastener set in its own labeled and numbered baggie, notes for everything that came off, etc. If you've built 5 of these trucks before it's not as important, but it helps. Can you remember the difference between the two vent springs? I have to look that stuff up.

The cost to finish completely depends on what level you want to take it to. I have $25K in paint (no rust, that's just media blasting, prep and paint, plus welding up the longhorn seams). That's not to say you couldn't prep it yourself and have Maaco shoot it in a forgiving color for 1/10th of that though.

I have somewhere around another $40K in receipts. Put it all together and you have a truck worth $30K.

Rebuild an engine? $5K (yeah, I know Bob's cousin can do it for a quarter of that). Rebuild a transmission? $1500. Rebuild the rear end and add a locker? $3500. That stuff adds up fast. Luckily you've got an engine-trans package so you're ahead of the game.

You will absolutely, positively, without a doubt lose money on this or any of these trucks unless it's a buff-and-flip. If you put any substantive amount of parts or labor, it's a sunk cost. So, like I said, make sure this is THE truck you want. Not just the most convenient or easiest to grab because it's your buddy's truck.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Link View Post
I'm considering buying a project a friend of mine started then lost interest in
I would never buy any car or truck that is in pieces.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #6
67ctener

My truck is in a similar state and I'm guessing ill have 10-15k into finishing it how I want. Paint, interior, wiring etc... I'd say the 4500 for the truck is a great deal. If you had another 15k into it you would have a nice truck at a great price
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
Hawghauler

I think it's a great deal.

We just bought a 2006 LQ4 with harness for $3900 with about 80,000k mile on it and that was the cheapest one we could find used. We shipped it from Idaho.

What I'd probably do is buy it, bring it home, Give it a couple of days of digging into it to get to know it. Then decide. If you don't love it and aren't excited by it then part it out. You can easily make $6000 off the pieces. If it excites you and you're eager to get started, Go for it.

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
Joe Link

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Definitely a big investment in both time and money.

I actually had a hand in the dis-assembly of the truck, so I know everything is there, but he kept track of absolutely nothing. No photos, no sorting of the bolts, etc. so I know that's going to be a challenge, but nothing I can't figure out.
Joe Link is offline   Reply With Quote