The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
AHowe88

Hood Adjustment

I replaced my stock hood with a cowl hood, which doesn't want to sit correctly. It isn't locking all the way down. The pin is as high as it can go, but it is still almost an inch higher than it should be. What else can I adjust to make it sit properly?

AHowe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
Chulisohombre

Re: Hood Adjustment

I'm not looking at mine but it has to be completely centered in the latch for it to Catch and lock it in. I believe there is a slight adjustment there as well. How does the rear hood gap look? Might need to move the hinge bolts back a little to line up the latch. From the latch pic it looks like it is only hitting one side of the latch. The latch looks also like its too far in to catch the secondary catch on the hood release. That is the part that holds in the latch all the way down.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:20 AM   #3
AHowe88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chulisohombre View Post
I'm not looking at mine but it has to be completely centered in the latch for it to Catch and lock it in. I believe there is a slight adjustment there as well. How does the rear hood gap look? Might need to move the hinge bolts back a little to line up the latch. From the latch pic it looks like it is only hitting one side of the latch. The latch looks also like its too far in to catch the secondary catch on the hood release. That is the part that holds in the latch all the way down.
It is centered left to right, but I will try moving it back a bit and seeing what happens. When you say the latch looks like it is too far in, are you referring to the spear point on the hood? It does go down and catch, but to me it seems like it should go in farther to tighten everything down more?
Old 05-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
Chulisohombre

It should go down into the hole and catch twice. One to pop it up and a safety latch just in case that failed. I think your spear catch isn't going in far enough to catch the second latch. Mine sticks out about a inch I think front the bottom of the hood bracket. When I get home tomorrow ill try and look at it and get a better estimate if how far the spear has to be down from the lock nut. The hood looks centered otherwise looking at it again, so I wouldn't mess with that.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
Cohl

Does you're hood click twice as it is? It looks like you've maxed it all the way in, which would make sense to try and get the hood down further. But I had to unscrew mine almost all the way out to catch that second click. Try that.
Cohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
paul mora

Remove the latch shut the hood get the right alignment with your hinges then reinstall the latch and the work on the hood latch
Old 05-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
AHowe88

Got it. Thanks guys!