The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2014, 11:28 PM   #1
Duck.E

Temperature Gauge/Engine temp help

I recently just finished a head gasket job on my 72 chevy c10 and before I did that the temperature gauge was fine. I got everything together and went for a drive and shortly after gauge went into red. I let it cool and took it on highway to see if it bony did it at low speeds, still went up into red. Radiator, water pump, and gauge in cluster are all new. I never had a thermostat before so I put one in and started truck and gauge immediately went to red and truck hadn't been ran in 2 hrs. Can someone tell me how to diagnose the problem, is it gauge, sender, etc. Coolant is full, No leaks, and water pump isn't leaking as well.
Duck.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:43 AM   #2
70cst

Re: Temperature Gauge/Engine temp help

Here is a bump for you. Hopefully someone will chime in with some ideas.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:23 AM   #3
picklito

Have seen this happen. The replacement waterpump was accidentally for a motor with serpentine belt... so reverse rotation.
picklito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:08 AM   #4
Duck.E

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklito View Post
Have seen this happen. The replacement waterpump was accidentally for a motor with serpentine belt... so reverse rotation.
Well, before I did head gasket job the new pump had been on for a while and I didn't have any problems, pump seemed to be working fine and never had the gauge do that. Now idk. Thinking of maybe buying an aftermarket mechanical wate temp gauge to see the actual temp and if gauge is faulty.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:28 AM   #5
67swb72klb

this might help you diagnose the problem if the sender wire is grounded it will be full hot
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2014, 02:41 AM   #6
Duck.E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67swb72klb View Post
this might help you diagnose the problem if the sender wire is grounded it will be full hot
Thanks, I will check that as well tomorrow. I don't think it is because it didn't go directly to hot right away. A couple of trips around the block with a thermostat installed it shot all the way up.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:23 AM   #7
Sklptrljay

Mine did the same thing. The temperature gauge is probably on it's way out like mine. Check the sender first, but I would bet you need a new gauge. My gauge eventually just stuck on full hot no matter when, even with the power off.

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #8
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck.E View Post
I never had a thermostat before so I put one in and started truck and gauge immediately went to red and truck hadn't been ran in 2 hrs.
Did you place the thermostat in the manifold with the Spring Down? The spring must be down to receive the heat from the coolant that has been heated in the block. Also, the sending unit in one of my 72's had a loose inner element causing a low temp or no read at all situation. I replaced it recently wishing i had done so long ago. If replaced, make sure the new sending unit is exactly like the unit taken out. The green wire leading to the unit should be sheathed and the insulation in good shape to eliminate any chance of grounding or shorts. Do not use teflon tape on the threads of replacement sending units as it will inhibit a proper ground. Hope this helps ;0
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
Duck.E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
Did you place the thermostat in the manifold with the Spring Down? The spring must be down to receive the heat from the coolant that has been heated in the block. Also, the sending unit in one of my 72's had a loose inner element causing a low temp or no read at all situation. I replaced it recently wishing i had done so long ago. If replaced, make sure the new sending unit is exactly like the unit taken out. The green wire leading to the unit should be sheathed and the insulation in good shape to eliminate any chance of grounding or shorts. Do not use teflon tape on the threads of replacement sending units as it will inhibit a proper ground. Hope this helps ;0
Thermostat was placed spring down into manifold. The sender wire is sheathed and doesn't look to be grounding out anywhere. The wiring harness in the truck was replaced a while ago so it's fairly new. Could be sender or gauge. Just weird it all worked before i replaced head gaskets nownits not, but I'm going to try a a few things today and see what happens.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:01 PM   #10
Duck.E

Got a hold of a temp gun and shot it while gauge was in red and radiator was 180 and intake was around 190. Nothing was over 200. So my guess is gauge or sensor.