The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Help with single wall side glass dimensions and Steele 1x wall side glass gaskets?

Can someone post the outer dimensions for single wall top side glass?

Also, has anyone tried the Steele gaskets for single wall top side glass?

I've got a set of the 1x wall Steele gaskets and tried fitting one of them to two slider top windows I have that differ in design but have same outer dimensions. The fit is loose relative to an original, intact gasket that came on one of the slider windows. The cross sectional design of the old vs. new gasket appears the same.

The above responses will help me figure out if 1) the sliders do indeed use a unique (smaller diameter window channel?) gasket, or 2) the Steele gaskets actually fit poorly out of the box, or 3) the old gaskets are shrunk and the loose fit of the new gaskets is normal and will be corrected upon install

I do not have spare 1x wall glass here to test.

Thanks!!

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
cleszkie

Re: Help with single wall side glass dimensions and Steele 1x wall side glass gaskets

I have not tried to install new gaskets on my slider windows yet so I have no direct experience to share. However, I don't think you should be concerned with the loose fit around the frame before installation. I remember that the gasket on my front windshield was relatively loose on the glass too before it was installed into the windshield frame. As long as there is no major slack, I think you are OK. Try installing it and see how it works out.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: Help with single wall side glass dimensions and Steele 1x wall side glass gaskets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
I have not tried to install new gaskets on my slider windows yet so I have no direct experience to share. However, I don't think you should be concerned with the loose fit around the frame before installation. I remember that the gasket on my front windshield was relatively loose on the glass too before it was installed into the windshield frame. As long as there is no major slack, I think you are OK. Try installing it and see how it works out.
Thanks that helps. Will follow-up with the end result. The OEM glass/gaskets are fine and I'm loathe to remove them if the 1x wall top needs trimming to accommodate the sliders - not sure I could cut the top.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
Old 05-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Blazerowner

I wouldn't cut the top for the set I have considering how hard it is to find a good top. My sliders came out of a double wall top but I have heard the gasket area for the top is different but the glass is the same. In other words the glass will fit both gaskets.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
cleszkie

Deadhead -

You posted the attached instructions (in a past thread) that indicate some trimming required for either a single or double wall top. It appears that for style#1 the window glass overlaps the window openning, and this style requires the trimming to accept the "H" style gasket with the slider window. Can you hold your slider frame up to your window openning and see if the slider frame overlaps the openning? That would tell you if the stated trimming is need or not on your application. I am particularly interested in this topic as I have single wall top that I want to install my set of sliders in (currently in my double wall top).
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
Deadhead -

You posted the attached instructions (in a past thread) that indicate some trimming required for either a single or double wall top. It appears that for style#1 the window glass overlaps the window openning, and this style requires the trimming to accept the "H" style gasket with the slider window. Can you hold your slider frame up to your window openning and see if the slider frame overlaps the openning? That would tell you if the stated trimming is need or not on your application. I am particularly interested in this topic as I have single wall top that I want to install my set of sliders in (currently in my double wall top).
I would but am reluctant to remove my window(s) at the moment as I don't have the time to install the sliders, which need some weatherstrip replacement, and have more pressing projects at the moment. IIRC GM p/n#'s differ for 1x vs. 2x side glass and different aperture sizes between the top styles would explain the need for trimming to fit sliders. If we can get dimensions of the apertures between a 1x and 2x top, the narrower of the two should be the one requiring a trim. Anyone have a 1x and/or 2x tops sans glass who could measure the size of the window opening?

I suspect based on the diagram it's the 1x top that needs a shave

Old 06-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
cleszkie

Deadhead -

Are your sliders the four pane variety with two fixed panes and two sliding panes per frame (seemingly more common) or the two pane variety? The reason I ask is that I have the four pane variety and am planning on installing in my single wall top. If we are both dealing with the same top (single wall) and sliders (four pane), then our sharing of information will help both of us out and there should be no confusion as to what works and what doesn't with that combination.

With that said, I will be removing the stock glass from my single wall this weekend. I will measure the window openning and glass. I also have stock double wall glass laying around so I will measure that as well to verify any differences in glass dimensions and thickness. My sliders are currently in my double wall, and will not be coming out until the single wall is restored and ready for them, so I cannot get that double wall window openning measurement just yet. Hopefully someone else can provide that info.

Sorry for the long post. I'll stop spamming the thread now until I have some measurements to share.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

That's a huge help thanks! I actually have both styles of slider window now - the more typical double slider glass type (like yours) and the less common single pane slider so I can help with sizes on both.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
Blazerowner

I have the four pane sliders. How do you plan on removing the glass? I'm afraid to attempt it.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
I have the four pane sliders. How do you plan on removing the glass? I'm afraid to attempt it.
Haven't ever tried myself but my recently acquired sliders came with intact gaskets so am thinking removal can't be too tough. For pickups though I've always cut the gasket first.

Anyone here used the repro Steele side window gaskets for a single wall top? I'm curious how the fit is. Some of the repro windshield gaskets can be ill-fitting.