The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2003, 04:45 PM   #1
RockHQ
ROCKET POWER!

Unhappy i need to buy another truck...decisions, decisions (long post)

So here's the deal:
I've been looking at C-10s and 20s lately since i need a reliable, rust free truck with a simple drivetrain for transportation. I need help in deciding on what to do with my K5 (the one in my sig) that i've put a lot of money and time into.

The good:
It's got a great drivetrain that has mostly been rebuilt (engine, x-fer case, tranny, rear end, shocks, brakes etc) and is of "good vintage" to begin with. The blazer also is a fully equipped model with almost every possible RPO in it. Details: 6.2 diesel, th700r4, np241c, 30 spline 10-bolts, towing package&HD suspension.

The bad:
Exterior paint&body is a far cry from a show-stopper, but has no through-holes, dents and only minimal surface rust.

The ugly:
The floor, rockers, cab supports, inner fenders, inner rear cab corners and tailgate support are all shot, way beyond saving. In addition, there are over a dozen homemade repair patches welded to the floor (which mostly are the only solid spots still in it) and there are faint signs of crash repair in the driver's side door jamb, though it's been done adequately otherwise.

I have a two-car garage which is just barely big enough for the blazer, but with not much room to spare. I can't raise the truck more than 15" because of the ceiling. I live in an apartment and can't store a parts truck outside on the street because it would be towed away as abandoned goods.

1. I can't do a body swap (yet) because i can't store a parts truck anywhere nor would there be enough space in the garage to do it.
2. I don't feel like parting the truck entirely out because it will simply not bring in enough cash and finding a rust free 1989-1991 Blazer with a good drivetrain here is like winning the lottery.

3. I could take the front clip off, remove the interior&all good parts from the body, cut it up into little pieces and keep the rolling frame. Though it would take up all the free space in my garage and would not allow me to work with any other projects.

I'll probably buy a c-10 SWB with a 350/th350, nothing fancy but rust free and in good condition but i need someone to tell me what to do with the blazer??
What did i do last nite?

1979 C-10 shortfleet: Olds 350, Th400, 12 bolt
Current project: 1969 Olds 455 W-30, needing a rebuild
RockHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 06:54 PM   #2
Tom
driving is in my blood

Id rent a space at a local storage place. They do have storage places over there right?
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 01:51 PM   #3
RockHQ
ROCKET POWER!

Sure they do, but it's an extra cost i'm trying to avoid, and mostly the places are strickly storage only, they don't let you do any repairs. Any other ideas?
What did i do last nite?

1979 C-10 shortfleet: Olds 350, Th400, 12 bolt
Current project: 1969 Olds 455 W-30, needing a rebuild
RockHQ is offline   Reply With Quote