The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
oldcane
Account Suspended

fuel coming out of dipstick

Just got a call from the guys painting my truck. They said they were going to pull it in and it wouldn't start. They then noticed fuel coming out of the dipstick. Anybody ever dealt with this? What was it?

Now, they are 50 miles away and I do not have access to the truck until this weekend so you can ask all sorts of questions but this is the only info I have other than it's an '87 350 out of a blazer and has a q-jet carb.

From a little searching I'm hearing everything from stuck floats to stuck needle jets. These guys want to replace the fuel pump. If you ask me the fuel pump is working just great.

I had planned on putting an edelbrock on it in a year or two but this may speed up my timetable if it will fix the problem.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
AirSpeed

Re: fuel coming out of dipstick

I learned from experience that a bad fuel pump can fill your oil pan with gas. The diaphragm can tear letting gas flow on in. That would cause the starting issue and gas in your oil. I hope they plan on changing the oil.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Fuel pump could be leaking through the diaphragm in the pump. Tell them to disconnect the battery, and don't try to start it!
Old 05-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
oldcane
Account Suspended

Well, now, they didn't say there was gas in the oil. I'm sure there is now but they said, exactly "there is gas coming out the dipstick."
Old 05-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
72bowtiestepper

Could be stuck needle valve or float like you mentioned....If that much raw fuel is now in your oil pan, tell them NOT to try & start your engine...your oil will be diluted big time & could very well destroy your engine....no protection to your main & rod bearings !
Old 05-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
Lee H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
I learned from experience that a bad fuel pump can fill your oil pan with gas. The diaphragm can tear letting gas flow on in. That would cause the starting issue and gas in your oil. I hope they plan on changing the oil.
Agree, fuel pump and oil change. Hope it did not run to long with the crankcase full of gas.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Old 05-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
oldcane
Account Suspended

Geez, guys. What part of it wouldn't start did you miss? I will be dealing with this, whether it's the pump, the carb, whatever and yes I plan on changing the oil twice. Let's just stop this thread. I asked if anyone had had this problem and what the cause was. I've just never heard of this. I guess nobody has so thanks for your time.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcane View Post
Geez, guys. What part of it wouldn't start did you miss? I will be dealing with this, whether it's the pump, the carb, whatever and yes I plan on changing the oil twice. Let's just stop this thread. I asked if anyone had had this problem and what the cause was. I've just never heard of this. I guess nobody has so thanks for your time.
Several people answered you. If the fuel pump diaphragm is torn it will fill your oil Pan with gas and your truck won't start. If your oil pan is full of gas and oil it can push it out the dipstick tube
Old 05-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
oldcane
Account Suspended

ok
Old 05-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Well, now, they didn't say there was gas in the oil. I'm sure there is now but they said, exactly "there is gas coming out the dipstick."
Common sense would dictate that the dipstick tube is connected to the block and goes directly into the oil pan, therefore the oil pan is full of oil and fuel.

You have quite a few helpful suggestions. Why the pissy attitude?

We're well aware the truck won't start, however, turning the truck over with an oil pan full of fuel and oil can ruin a bunch of crap whether it starts or not.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
Old 05-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #11
Jraeyre

I have had this occur twice. Once on a gas and once on a diesel. In both cases it was simply the fuel pump pushing fuel into the crank case instead of the carb/injector pump.

Gas is the most dangerous as the diesel does have some lubricity. With that said, I agree oil dump and wouldn't hurt to do it twice. Fuel pumps cost much less than engine overhauls.

Jra
Old 05-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #12
truckdude239

Quote:
i do not understand why you are coming across as hostile i see several post explaining that the fuel pump can cause this as can the cARB and a few warning you to not to try and start it until you fix it and change the oil.

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
Old 05-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #13
AirSpeed

If they saw only gas coming out that could be from the fact gasoline is lighter than oil and will float on top of the oil making the gas come out first.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #14
Lee H

Gas did not get into the crankcase just sitting there, it happened while it was being cranked or running. Now it won't start because the pump is not pushing enough gas to the carb, it's all going into the pan.

Lot's of folks have dealt with this, you heard from quite a few in a very short amount of time. Don't understand your bagging on the folks you asked help from.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Old 05-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #15
SIXTY9

Happened on a 283 I had. After fuel pump change I took out the dizzy and used a oil pump primer to flush the oil passages. Done this twice and got all the gas out. had a old mech. tell me this to keep from burning the bearings up. Best of luck.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #16
BLT gmc

I had this happen to me in a truck with the fuel tank behind the seat. In our farming community it is common to put an in-line fuel shut off. In my case the float stuck leaving the needle and seat open and Newton's gravity laws did the rest. And now I religiously use the fuel shut off and check the fluids levels each time. I do not want to "copper the bearings."
Old 05-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #17
tony58

Quote:
With an attitude like yours I don't give a crxp if you screw your engine up, go start it and drive it home.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #18
67 cst swb

Your original post...
Just got a call from the guys painting my truck. They said they were going to pull it in and it wouldn't start. They then noticed fuel coming out of the dipstick. Anybody ever dealt with this? What was it?
Yes. I have dealt with this before
It ended up being the fuel pump.
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
Old 05-27-2014, 04:59 PM   #19
70cst

Ok ...lets step back and take a deep breath.

Ok ... now lets keep this thread low key.

Thanks

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #20
HeloCrewChief

Had the exact same thing happen to me. Fuel pump went out and dumped fuel in my oil. Plugs were fouled out and the truck would not start. Changed pump, plugs, fuel pump and truck started after that.
1968 Chevelle
1964 Comet Caliente
1990 W250 Cummins
Old 05-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #21
hugger6933

This problem is not only common to cars/trucks I have a zero turn John Deere with a 24 hp Briggs that is sitting in my rental houses back yard right now from the very same thing. Third time I have had that happen, the mower has 50.7 hours! It is possible that the fuel pump is ok and it is just thrash hung in the needle and seat, but with that large of an amount it most likely is the pump as well.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #22
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
The other end of the dipstick tube is stuck into the oil pan. The only way for gas to "come out of the dipstick (tube)" is for the pan to be full of gas. Tell them not to start it, go to the parts store and buy a new fuel pump, take the wrenches you need to replace the old with the new, drive to the paint shop and replace the pump.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #23
In The Ten Ring

Some of the best advice I have yet to read on here. Thanks.

I haven't found gasoline in my oil pan but just in case, I am definitely going to replace my fuel pump this summer.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #24
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Some of the best advice I have yet to read on here. Thanks.

I haven't found gasoline in my oil pan but just in case, I am definitely going to replace my fuel pump this summer.
Good idea, I lost an entire tank of gas when mine went, the gas was more expensive than the new fuel pump!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #25
Sillyoldman

Quote:
No good info here. Maybe pour a few cups of gas down the carb and run it.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Closed Thread