The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
69l46vert

New 1954 GMC Owner. What do I have?

Bought this truck yesterday spur of the moment type of thing. Missing many parts but has very little rust. It came with two frames, One is the original short frame but the front has been cut off. It is sitting on a longer frame that still has it's major components. The rear pig is the open type and from what very little I know at this point it is supposed to have a closed driveline.

The A pillar tag reads 101-24 S Z 2050 115 hp 3400rpm 4800 gvw. I don't really know what to do with it yet, but need to learn more about it first.

Here's some pics. I'm hoping some of you can help me identify it.

Thanks! Rick
Attached Images

69l46vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
69l46vert

Re: New 1954 GMC Owner. What do I have?

A few more pics. It also came with an extra hood, a chevy tailgate and a driver's side door.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
Rich1954

You can go to oldgmctrucks.com and decipher just about any serial number.
Yours breaks down like this: 10=1/2 ton, 1 = short bed or short wheelbase, 24= 248 ci engine, S = St Louis assembly, Z = year of production (1954) and 2050 = the production number.
Looks like you have a solid start on a project with rust in all of the usual places. Good luck!

Rich
Rich1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
69l46vert

Thanks Rich, I'm trying to determine the best way to proceed. I could cut down the 125" frame to 116. That could be a possible option. Or, graft some front endt onto the cut frame.
A third idea I had is; Out behind my barn sits a 1972 GMC 2500 4wd. Body shot, frame is good. It's a 4 speed with a 350. I'm wondering if it would be practical to use it under the new 54? Has anyone tried this? I realize that it's a huge job but having a 4wd might make it worth it. What do you all think? Stupid idea or stick with the frame(s) that I've got?
Old 06-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
Advanced Design

Depending on your goals for the project you could:
1. Find an original one for sale and use it.
2. Find an original modified the way you want for sale. This worked for me on a project.
3. Buy a built frame from a small builder or one of the bigger builders-Fat Man, Art Morrison, etc.

All depends on goals and budget of course. Enjoy the build!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
Iceburgh

I would guess the person who started it gave up due to parts for a GMC.
I have a Chevy complete in the garage and had no problems.
I am working on a GMC now and parts and trim are not easy to find. If they make re-pops they are typically about 20% higher.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
OrrieG

72 4wd have a much wider track very hard to keep the tires tucked under the fenders(see photo below) and you have to deal with the front clip to cab alignment which is a challenge on the stock AD trucks. Are you missing the bed? Mar-K makes quality reproductions. Keep the frame as is and be bold, go long bed... Cutting down the frame is not a big deal, lots of threads here showing it. The difference is taken out just behind the rear cab mount like this sketch shows (ignore the dimensions I just grabbed the first one I found). Cut, slide, check for square and weld. I'd put a fish plate on the inside too.

Also inventory the missing GMC parts, you might find it will be cheaper to buy a second complete truck with the right frame than getting the pieces one by one.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #8
69l46vert

Good advice OrrieG. I'm going to forget swapping to the 72 4wd frame. I'd snap up a complete truck if I could find one. The longbed idea sounds really good too. I do have a shortbed for it. Rough shape but no rust through. If I only had to buy bedsides and an extra cross piece that wouldn't be bad.
As far as inventorying what's missing I guess that's what I have to do next. Big things are motor tranny, the cross members for motor and tranny. Pedals are gone. No seat. No gas tank. front and rear glass is not there. Lots missing and the little stuff I don't know about yet will probably make a long list too. I got a super deal on it. I just had to buy it. I'm in the middle of a frame off on a 69 corvette so this will have to wait for a bit. But right know I'm happy to learn whatever I can about these AD's and begin formulating a plan and gathering parts for when I can get to it. I do appreciate your input. Makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks, Rick
Old 06-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #9
OrrieG

All the parts you listed are either common to Chevys too, so relatively available or will probably be replaced any way (engine trans). Start stock piling while finishing up the Vette. Since you have the time you might be able to find some deals. I have parts on my truck I literally looked up to five years to find for what I wanted to pay.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote