The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
AirSpeed

Going nuts! Strange clicking in front hub

I've had a strange clicking noise coming out of the left front hub on my 72 GMC 4X4, it only happens in reverse. I jacked it up and spun the tire in both directions and can't get it to make the sound, it has to be on the ground and backing up. I replaced the wheel bearings but that made no difference. I installed new locks and no help. The u joints in the axle are fine and it makes no difference if it's in two or four wheel drive.
It's driving me nuts! I'm also in search of new bushings for my leaf springs, bought some rubber ones from LMC last year and they're already destroyed, chunks are hanging out. Where do I get good bushings?
This noise has been bugging me for a long time! Any ideas?
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
blue 72 gmc 4x4

Re: Going nuts! Strange clicking in front hub

Brake pads maybe?
1969 Chevy C/30 Bruiser
1972 GMC (Wrecked)
1972 GMC pickup..old blue

Restored Vent Windows
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=766598

1955 GMC hydramatic build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429417

blue 72 gmc 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue 72 gmc 4x4 View Post
Brake pads maybe?
I tried that, replaced the pads and the calipers, no luck. I've had several "mechanics" look at it and they can't figure it out either! Thanks though!
Old 06-01-2014, 06:29 AM   #4
hamjet

The wheel bearing races that come with the bearings, did you change them? Back in 1980 I had a blazer make the same noise and thats what it was..
Old 06-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjet View Post
The wheel bearing races that come with the bearings, did you change them? Back in 1980 I had a blazer make the same noise and thats what it was..
I changed the entire bearing. No luck
Old 06-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
michael bustamante

My blazers doing the same thing. My lock switch housing is kinda loose but my hex head bolts are allctight. I bet its a bearing too.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
My blazers doing the same thing. My lock switch housing is kinda loose but my hex head bolts are allctight. I bet its a bearing too.
I wish it was a bearing, I replaced the bearings and it still clicks. I've taken the hub apart a couple times and can't find anything. It's driving me crazy!
Old 06-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
Blazerowner

What about the hub? I have heard them click before if not fully engaged. Maybe there's an issue with it.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #9
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
What about the hub? I have heard them click before if not fully engaged. Maybe there's an issue with it.
I put on new hubs as well. Everything's tight and proper. Only the drivers side does it.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #10
Blazerowner

Does the clicking get faster as you accelerate?
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Had a similar problem on my K20 when I bought it in the Mid-90's. My driver’s side hub (stock) would click at different times while driving or turning, I could hear it because it was on the driver’s side. I took the hub apart numerous times, cleaned it, checked tolerances, used dry grease, lithium grease, etc, etc ... One thing I noticed was the wheel bearing would always loosen up after prolong driving. So I get new spindle nut kit to replace that and the bearings. I take it all apart, clean everything in parts washer, everything looks good. I then clean the spindle with solvent to inspect it. While inspecting the spindle I noticed that where the inside bearing rides on the spindle, it was grooved up somewhat. I got the bearing that rides on that portion of the spindle and slide it onto spindle. The bearing would not slide all the way to the stop point on the spindle. So, I filed down the grooved lips on the spindle to ensure bearing would slide to correct spot. Assembled everything, torque it spec, hub back on, problem solved.
I believe what happened was the over its life at some point the bearing was ran loose for a period of time and it notched a groove in the spindle, with a little lip that made the bearing ride a little out of round, thus, causing the clicking noise in that hub. It never clicked again and eventually I replaced the spindle. Hope that helps...

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #12
69moneypit
Divorced .....WITH KIDS

I feel your pain , I heard a noise on way to car show . Couldn't figure out what it was . Me and members of club couldn't figure out what it was . I was nervous about driving it 90 miles home . Left show pulled across street and realized I lost a center cap . Found cap in street , got ready to reinstall and notice driver wheel bearing was toast . Truck had less than 1500 miles since frame off . I still think about what could've happen on the drive home .
Attached Images

2005 Nissan Armada (wife's idea)
69moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #13
Rickmunter1

Is your center cap loose. See this many times. Not sure about your issue.
Rickmunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #14
AirSpeed

Thanks all, I've checked everything mentioned a couple times, I even bought the correct socket for the lock nut. I cleaned the crap out of everything, inspected everything and no luck. I don't know if it's associated but when I drive forward I hear a high frequencie squeaking, in forward or reverse, this noise as well is driving me insane even more as it happens while driving and it's pretty loud, I thought it might be the bolts that hold the leaf springs rubbing since the bushing I replaced not to long ago are trash, I sprayed lube in every joint in the front suspension and it made no difference. As I said the clicking coming from the tire area only happens in reverse, it changes with speed although I don't reverse very fast! I'm going to start looking under the good for the squeak as I think I've eliminated everything in the suspension. I hate funky noises! I hate pulling up somewhere with a squeaky truck!
Old 06-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #15
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Try putting your vehicle up on four jacks stands, run it in gear while on idle, then engage 4x4, start listening and looking. Then take the wheels off, lock down drums and rotors, run it in gear while on idle, look and listen. If you don't get any symptoms, the weight of the truck is a factor in the problem. Then put the wheels back on an lower the front, keep the rear jacked up, run it in gear while on idle. jump up and down on the bumper and load suspension, then do the same in the front. What I'm saying is that you will need to think out of the box to create the symptom, so you isolate the issue. Be safe...

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #16
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.PASSMORE View Post
Try putting your vehicle up on four jacks stands, run it in gear while on idle, then engage 4x4, start listening and looking. Then take the wheels off, lock down drums and rotors, run it in gear while on idle, look and listen. If you don't get any symptoms, the weight of the truck is a factor in the problem. Then put the wheels back on an lower the front, keep the rear jacked up, run it in gear while on idle. jump up and down on the bumper and load suspension, then do the same in the front. What I'm saying is that you will need to think out of the box to create the symptom, so you isolate the issue. Be safe...
Thanks, I used a few of your suggestions, only had two jack stands so I left the rear on my floor jack. No clicks or squeaks in the air, only clicks on the ground in reverse and only squeaks going forward on the ground. I'm going to let someone else look at it, maybe some new eyes and ears will help! I appreciate the suggestions!