The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
taylorbg

Trailer Sway Help

I pulled the boat for the first time with my 1972 4x4 Suburban. I ended up having a lot of sway once I hit about 55 mph. Slowed down under that and it went away instantly. I bought this truck in November, so it is new to me. This is also my first experience with a 4x4, larger tires, and possibly a lift.

It looks to me as though there is a lift, but I do not know the size if there is, or if that would affect the swaying issues. The tire size are 33x12.5 R15.

I do have a lot of play in the steering and am looking into getting new Redhead steering box. Maybe that is the issue?

Another thing I thought about, could it be that I need a larger drop ball for the receiver hitch? Maybe the front of the boat is too high, putting too much weight in the back?

Any ideas and pointer would be greatly appreciated. Here are some pictures.
Attached Images

taylorbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:36 AM   #2
1968k10blue

Re: Trailer Sway Help

I by no means am an experienced hauler but I do know that you need to drop the hitch, th more level the trailer and truck the better. As far as the sway goes, you steering could have something to do with it but I wouldn't think much. Beyond that I don't know how much help I will be, but good luck on getting it figured out, sway can be a scary and dangerous thing
1968k10blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:34 AM   #3
DWilbur

Typically the top of the ball should end up at about 17" to 18" off the ground. level your trailer and check the ball height. the size of the boat look like about 23' long it is big and heavy.
DWilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
taylorbg

My thoughts were the ball height too. Luckily the lake is only ten minutes away and I am on the highway for maybe two miles. I will get a drop ball and see if that helps. Then keep diagnosing.

And yes, it is a 23 foot boat. So long and heavy. I was worried about stopping the boat, but no problems there.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
bMr

First of all, that is a gorgeous Suburban.

I'd get a new ball mount first because #1) it needs to be leveled anyway, and #2) swapping in a new ball mount is the easiest/simplest/quickest fix.

For what it is worth I'm very impressed with the Red Head box. Every "rebuilt" steering box I've purchased from a regular parts store has had at least as much play as the one it replaced. I feel like the Red Head is as tight as this style of steering box can possibly be.
bMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
taylorbg

I need a new steering box anyways. There is a lot of play in my steering. I want a nice tight steering, and quicker turn ratio. I just have just been putting other priorities first. This is just bumping that up the list a bit. Thanks for your thoughts. I have bought a drop today. Will see how that does next time we get out.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:50 AM   #7
DWilbur

I know these old truck are cool and I'm in the middle of a frame off restoration with major modifications on my 71 truck. But I would prefer to tow a heavy trailer with a newer truck with Duramax or Cummins power and exhaust break with auto trans with locking tork converter it is the best way to tow a heavy trailer. my 2012 I don't even use the breaks going down steep hill until the engine gets under 1,000 RPM. most of the time I have to push on the gas pedal to maintain speed going down hill.
DWilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:20 AM   #8
Kudzupatch

You have to make sure your tongue weight is right on the trailer. To much weight behind the wheels of the trailer will cause sway. If there is any adjustment in in the trailer winch stand and you can move the boat slightly forward that usually helps too. I forget the rules of how much weight but sounds to me you need more in front of the wheels.

I tow a large mower quite a bit and once I parked it dead center over the axle on the trailer and I had to stop and move the mower forward about a foot because the trailer would sway very quickly. Moving it forward solved it.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #9
Mr. 250r

I wouldn't say the boats crazy heavy but i would also say the tongue might be a bit high though i occasionally tow a decent being my mud trucks which overall with trailer comes out probably around 10k nothing impressive by any means but i had trailer sway once and almost lost everything. We loaded the truck to far backwards on the trailer now i sit the trucks about center of the trailer and eyeball it after its loaded haven't had any problems and i think i have been up around 70mph but i am not sure how to adjust a boat trailer no experience there you could call your local trailer place and see if they can help you as well.
1991 V2500 Suburban Silverado - Sold
1991 V2500 Suburban Scottsdale - Big Nasty http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=497423
2001 Ram 3500 5.9 H.O NV56 EC DRW - Sold
2003 1500 Silverado
2004 Ram 3500 5.9 H.O NV56 CC DRW - Sold
2005 Silverado 2500HD 6.6/ZF6 CC LWB
Mr. 250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #10
imjeff

Looks like around a 4" lift. Make sure your tongue weight is appropriate and check into an anti-sway bar type hitch. They do wonders. I'm assuming, like most of us, you don't have $80K for a new diesel truck. They are nice, but holy smokes are they expensive!
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:53 AM   #11
1968k10blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjeff View Post
Looks like around a 4" lift. Make sure your tongue weight is appropriate and check into an anti-sway bar type hitch. They do wonders. I'm assuming, like most of us, you don't have $80K for a new diesel truck. They are nice, but holy smokes are they expensive!
An anti sway hitch would help, but it shouldn't sway from the start. Someone mentioned moving the axles back, and if that is an option, would be the best all around thing to do. I do have enough experience with towing to say that the farther back the wheels the better, both for towing down the road and backing it up to the launch will be easier. By far though the cheapest easiest fix would be a longer drop hitch
1968k10blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:16 AM   #12
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Sway is traditionally too much weight behind the wheels on the trailer. Level out your trailer by lowering the ball and see if you can bring the boat forward on the trailer any by adjusting the stop forward a little.
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #13
ETKTRYD

You need more weight on the front of the trailer.
If you can move the stop on the front of the trailer, move it forward one inch at a time. If you cant... Is the fuel tank in the front or back of the boat? If it is in the front, tow with the boat full of fuel, in the rear tow empty. The boat looks like an open bow... put all the coolers and wet gear in the front. This situation is very dangerous !!!!!! It can go from bad to worse in a split second.
It usually starts on a down hill grade or when you back off the gas and can get worse by hitting the brake. I have had to stop and buy bags of salt to put on the front of a trailer to make it stop.
Good luck and drive safe !!!!!!!
ETKTRYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #14
taylorbg

We towed the boat this weekend with my dad's 2500 and had no problems. I have purchased a 5.5 inch drop ball for the suburban to see if that helps. I think this will solve the issue, but will take it slow to test. I have also purchased a new redhead gear box to replace the old worn box. I won't be towing until I get that replaced also.

Thanks guys.