The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
Bagged1972

Transmission fittings

I know that this has probably been answered before but I couldn't find it in the search but my question is has anyone ever used these brass type barbed fitting in the transmission to run the lines to?
Bagged1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: Transmission fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagged1972 View Post
I know that this has probably been answered before but I couldn't find it in the search but my question is has anyone ever used these brass type barbed fitting in the transmission to run the lines to?
Line pressures are too high for that type of fitting. An auto trans can reach pressures of 250 PSI and that fitting will not go that high.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
lousyflyer

Rubber hoses will blow off, particularly in freezing cold weather.
lousyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
Bagged1972

Thanks guys for the info on my question. But my other question is what's the best fittings to use in the tranny? And not to sound like a ass but if the rubber hose is so bad then why would they sell it?
Old 06-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
LEEVON

Nothing wrong with brass fittings to rubber hose, but use the flare "nipple" end style with hose clamps. Push one don't take hose clamps and can come off easier.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
Bagged1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
Nothing wrong with brass fittings to rubber hose, but use the flare "nipple" end style with hose clamps. Push one don't take hose clamps and can come off easier.
Thanks leevon
Old 06-03-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagged1972 View Post
Thanks guys for the info on my question. But my other question is what's the best fittings to use in the tranny? And not to sound like a ass but if the rubber hose is so bad then why would they sell it?
It's a valid question. Here's a picture of a high pressure crimp on fitting for a Dorman replacement trans cooler line you can buy at almost any auto parts store for $15.00. That crimp takes a special tool to make it but it can also handle about 700 PSI...more than enough for your trans cooler lines and a great deal stronger than any screw on clamp. If you worry about that rubber section chafing on a sharp edge and bursting like I do then a set of steel hard lines with flare fittings like the factory used is available at your local parts store for about $40.00. The pump in the front of your trans can completely empty the case and torque concerter in your trans in a matter of seconds and running dry will completely destroy the clutches in your trans. The rebuild will be 10 times more expensive than either set of lines. They're just cheap insurance.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote