The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
izzy_Britton

Carb'd LS swap cruise control questions

I am starting two nearly identical threads, each of a different subject because I feel it would be better to resolve the questions, or provide proper answers to specific questions without the jumble. One is Cruise Control, the other is A/C related.

I am planning to finally put the LS1 that has been in storage for almost a year in my truck. I have a few questions.

For starters i am going the easy and cheaper way out. I am going to put an eldebrock carborated intake on it and use the carb currently under my hood on the LS1. Pretty much all the electrical under the dash and under hood has been stripped out. The gauge cluster wires will be replaced from scratch and any non-essential stuff removed, I am planning a autometer gauge assortment.

I am running a 700r4 that required no extra wires, modules, or speedometer cable bull crap. for a lack of better description consider it a turbo 350 with auto-magic overdrive.

All of this installed into my 75 c-10.

The main questions or concerns is that i would love to have my cruise control back. I have heard before that there are certain cruise control modules that can be used from newer trucks without any need to hook up a full computer. is this true and can anyone shed any light on the subject with respect to what parts and years i should be looking for? I would like to install a cruise control from a newer truck/car with as little wires as possible or without the need to reprogram a computer or something odd like that?

basically since i know no better, i was told the cruise control module from a 97-04 S-10 with a 4.3v6 would be the best route because the little cruise module only required power, ground, and the on/off, set, coast, accel wires from the column switch to be connected. I call BS because it seems to easy to be true, then again i have already asserted that i dont know any better.

please clarify if at all possible.

Thanks,

Izzy.
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Re: Carb'd LS swap cruise control questions

I have an aftermarket cruise control on my truck. I bought it from www.rostra.com. Hot Rodders use their systems. Mines an older model with vacuum control. Now, they have all eletronic systems. All you do is add an output signal generator between trans/cable or driveshaft. Based on input speed, the module adjust throttle. You would only have to add another cable to the carb. Below is a pic of connections. I like it. You have to be ready for use!! Mine will pull the throttle to the floor if I hit the accel button from a low speed. Great accel and use. Worth every penny in my book and highly recommended.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Re: Carb'd LS swap cruise control questions

I have an aftermarket setup on my 78 k20 also and it works really good and was very easy to install.