The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
myyamr7

Bucket seat questions?

I have a chance to buy a complete set of buddy buckets from a 1972 blazer and want to put them in my 71 C10 pickup. What are the differences in the blazer seats vs the truck seats, if any? I thought the trucks seats, the center console folded up and acted as a 3rd seat, where the guy says the blazer set up is just the console?
Also, if I buy them, I'll want to change the color to mach my interior...seats are black and mine has parchment. Where is the best place to buy quality seat covers with the same factory scroll? I thought about keeping them black and changing my door panels, headliner and sun visors to black as well, but I do like the parchment look a little better with the colors of my truck.

Thanks for the reply
myyamr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:47 AM   #2
Blazerowner

Re: Bucket seat questions?

Passenger side brackets in a blazer are different and yes there is a console and buckets in a blazer. Also the blazer had utility buckets or the sport seats that came in the truck. He may have just drilled holes and bolted them in so just see If the brackets are not modified. I'm also not sure if the driver side bracket is the same. Either way I would bet they have their original brackets as it would be harder to adapt the blazer brackets to the seat. The passenger seat folds forward so people can get in the back seat.
Blazerowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:37 AM   #3
Nitis

First off throes aren't buddy buckets. Buddy buckets only in 67-68

Blazer buckets are just that true buckets with a console no center seat. I believe they were possibly available in trucks but not sure.
Nitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
myyamr7

The glove box panel says factory bucket seats, and he says they are original. Are they a bolt in fit to the trucks, or will I need to get a truck bracket? He also has a 74 c10 with buckets, haven't looked at those tho yet
Old 06-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
westong

Drivers side will bolt in as the bracket is the same as a truck. The passenger side on the blazer is a flip style bracket. That allows you to flip the seat forward so you can get to the back seat. It will not be a bolt in application. I'm sure you could drill holes in the floor board of your truck to get it to work just not sure how it would make the seat fit. It may ride higher than the drivers but not sure. Do a quick search of factory buckets for a 72 truck and the blazer's should look the same. Just to be sure they haven't been changed out in the past. I know a crazy idea of taking out the factory buckets but stranger things have happened.
westong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
Lee H

There a few threads that discuss bucket seat placement and mounting instructions in great detail. For the seat covers I would suggest forum member Truckseats, the covers he sources and sells are the best. The stitching, both grains in the vinyl, and the scroll details are top notch. Check out his thread in the classified section for pictures and discussion.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #7
leddzepp

We need a picture to confirm exactly what you have.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
FirstOwner69

69-72 truck and Blazer buckets and consoles are the same, except the Blazer buckets had hard plastic covering the otherwise exposed foam on the backs. However, 69/70 seats are slightly different from 71/72 seats in terms of upholstery and foam shape. As noted above, the passenger side mounting brackets are different and the driver side brackets are the same as noted above. However the driver side brackets are different from the bench seat brackets. It is a fairly complex task to properly install the Blazer seats in a truck originally with a bench seat.

Here are a couple threads you should read.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562904
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=437963

Edit: Here's a picture of the bucket seat interior in my 69 for reference. All covers are all original except for a few of the bolster pieces so I can't help with suggesting who to buy the covers from.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 06-10-2014 at 10:19 AM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #9
Tork?

Also, I *think that Blazer buckets have a hard plastic back to the seats whereas truck buckets do not. Not sure if the same applies to buddy buckets or the flip down 3rd seat style buckets.
Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #10
myyamr7

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
We need a picture to confirm exactly what you have.
I'm going to buy them and pick them up this weekend, I'll post pics then. I almost have to buy them at the price the guy is asking, almost feels like steeling!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #11
hugger6933

If I'm not mistaken the 74 buckets as well are shaped the same but the brackets and foam and covers are different. Meaning the 74 seat frames would do to build some one a set of buckets for their truck if those seats were cheap also. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
myyamr7

I went and looked at the seats today, a far cry from what was described and I had to pass. At first glance, I was thinking I'd take them for sure, but all the brackets were rusted out. The passenger seat pulled out with no tools, along with a small section of the floor. The driver seat, same thing with the lower brackets, and also the back frame was broke. Console plastic body was nice, but the metal part had rust holes in it. I knew it was to good to be true when the guy told me he wanted $100 for them. He had some cool stuff, about 15 trucks, but most were there so long, they had large trees growing through them..haha
Old 06-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #13
Corndog777

I am looking for exactly what myyamr is describing and want put that set up in my 71 k 5... It has the black scrolling interior and everything.
So did we decide that set up would bolt right in? And does anyone have a line on something like that for sale?

I have the buckets with the console, in great shape... Want to make a 6 seater.