The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
Mayo
Cool Truck

8 lug disc brake kit?

I need to redo the brakes on my 68 C20 so I figure I might as well upgrade to discs. I was thinking about swapping out from a 72 C20, but I figured all I would really use from that would be the spindles. I figure you might as well get new rotors, calipers, tie rods, and everything else seeing as they will also wear out eventually and came across these to kits. Which one would you go with? Also, when I swap to discs, to I need to change out the brake booster and master cylinder? Thanks.

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...number=DBC8L20

http://www.performanceonline.com/63-...-deluxe-8-lug/

Looking for a patina'd 68 50th Anniversary longbed
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
jocko

Re: 8 lug disc brake kit?

I haven't purchased either - but when I WAS shopping for a kit and researching them, I was going to go with POL over CPP and Brothers. Also, note that the Brothers kit you listed has drop spindles - so if you want stock ride height, make sure to choose the non-drop kit, I'm sure they offer one. Both are probably fine, but I'm a POL fan.

These guys http://www.blackbirdscustomtrucks.com/index7.html make rear disk kits if you would like 4 wheel disks...

If you go with front disks only, your current plan (and that is more than sufficient and a big improvement over the all-drum setup), you will need, at a minimum, a disk/drum master and new proportioning valve (or something like a 71/72 metering block/distribution valve). But, since going with aftermarket, I'd probably go with an adjustable prop valve, personally.

New booster may not be required. Make sure, however, that you have the proper type of intermediate push rod between the booster front and the master cyl rear face. Since you already have power brakes, I'm GUESSING that your rod will be correct, but just double check. There are 2 different lengths. I personally like to replace the booster and master together as a matched set, you can normally purchase them that way from local auto parts stores. You could just go with a 71/72 replacement master/booster/distro block setup as long as you can have the right mounting hardware, etc. CaptainFab offers non-stock mounting brackets that are very high quality.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
k2rm

I bought the POL kit. Everything went fine with the install, though removing 40 year old ball joints wasn't fun.

One problem was that I didn't get good performance from the booster that came with the kit. I put the original dual 9" booster back on and it was much better.

The other problem was that I could never get the cap to seal with the new master cylinder. I even bought a new cap and had the same problem. I wound up replacing it with a new Wilwood master which has never leaked.
k2rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
Mayo
Cool Truck

Thanks for the info guys

Old 06-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
Mayo
Cool Truck

Do either of these kits use GM parts? I was just wondering because when I eventually need to replace something it would be nice to be able to go to a parts store rather than try and track them down on the internet.