The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
Last_Paladin

Cable to inner Fessler built door handle?

Background: I bought a set of Fesler built door panels. If you look on their site, you'll see they have a cut out for billet interior door handles that look dumb if you don't use their $295.00 polished handle. They also have no provision for stock handles, as the door panel sticks out 2.5", into the cab (can't use the stock HVAC vents, if you have factory AC - that's a different story they don't tell you about).

So I bought the door panels, their arm rest and their door handles... $1200 + in Fesler Built products. Guess what they don't provide? Linkage to their handles. I called in (takes forever to get someone on the phone) and they're really no help. They had no suggestions on the HVAC issue, and I got a sorry, but these are cheaper than others on the market, so make due (paraphrased). The guy I talked with thought they provided a new rod, but checked and was wrong.

Anyone have a suggestion on door handle linkage? They said to try a bike cable, whatever that means. Anyone already do this?

I've already fabbed up anchor plates for the door handles, arm rests and a bunch of other stuff needed to fit these. The cable linkage required has me scratching my head.
Last_Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Cable to inner Fessler built door handle?

a few pictures of the handles and we can give you a few options on making them work
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
Last_Paladin

Looking for pics online. Right now, the truck is at the body shop getting the factory AC vent holes deleted. As are the handles, since they need to be braced from the door to prevent the plastic from flexing and stress cracking.
Last_Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
bonnieclyde100

id like to see some pics when you get that installed.
bonnieclyde100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
Grumpy old man

After looking at the Fesler catalog their handles look like many of the late model cable actuated handles of today and you should be able to visit your local salvage yard to get all the pieces and cable to convert your trucks steel rod actuated mechanism to a cable system with little effort .measure the distance in your truck from the handle assembly to the lock mechanism and use that measurement to search the late model auto salvage yard for a handle - latch set up with approx the same distance or a few inches longer using this method you won't have to pull multiple door panels off different cars looking for 1 that will work ... hope this helps !
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote