The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
zst85

Lower pickup question

Hi guys i am a newbie when it comes to lowering pickups. I tired looking for
My answer couldn't find it. but I'm wondering if I get 2 1/2im drop spindles for the my 61 will 2in drop springs make it level in when done or do I need to go 4in in the rear? Thanks in advance and sorry for such a dumb question.
zst85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
Monte's62

Re: Lower pickup question

Zst85, unless you or a previous owner has changed the front crossmember out, then you will still have the original torsion bar front end. You can crank these down a little bit, but you will loose a little ride travel in your suspension. There are several links on here how to do this, which is really simple.
Also if you do have the original front suspension with drum brakes, I don't believe you can install drop spindles. I think some companies are working on this, but I don't think they're currently available.
Monte's62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
Monte's62

Looking back I may have misunderstood your question. However, first thing you need to do is find out if you have the original front suspension or not. If you do, as mentioned before, you can crank the bars down and that's about it unless you change the front crossmember out. You can install the 2 in. or 4 in. lowering springs for the rear, but to get it level with the front all depends on how low you get the front. Get the front where you want it, and measure how low you need to adjust the rear.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #4
zst85

Oh ok I was asking because I seen a kit a company was selling for 60-62 c10s for disc brakes and offered drop spindles. If they have that wrong then I may hold off until I can get the cross member swapped out?
zst85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
Monte's62

Yes you can get drop spindles for disc brakes so you would need to do a conversion if you still have drums.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
neglected61

i have the mcgaughys front disc brake swap with 2.5 inch drop spindles on my 61, with the torsion bars still intact. it drops the front pretty far down so i would get 4 inch drop for the rear. from what i noticed the back always sits just a little higher stock and unloaded so you need to compensate for that. plus if the back is just a little lower just turn your bars down.
neglected61 is offline   Reply With Quote