The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
crowdaddy

Cool Smoke from exhaust, carb, engine, pipes

My 230 inline six is smoking today. (in a bad way). 64 c-10 has a manifold leak,and exhaust leak. I've been making arrangements to take it to my mechanic, (paperwork, title, ect.), also, running it daily around a trail. It didn't start smoking bad until today. Other days it smoked with the burning off of the old gunk in tank and seafoam and carb cleaners. But this is excessive.

I recently filled the gas tank after draining some of the varnish and gunk, figuring it would have a cleaner mix to burn. I think I remember putting a can of seafoam in the tank also that stuff called heat, and a small amount of injector or port cleaner.

It somtimes looks whiteish, and somtimes blueish. Not sure I want to take it to my mechanic, unless I must, with a trail of smoke through town. I suppose I could drive it there at night. Anyone have ideas about whats gone wrong. It has been sitting in a barn for 12 years.
crowdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Re: Smoke from exhaust, carb, engine, pipes

Check your oil...and see if it is low...if its a bluish grayish color its burning oil..if its white its burning water...meaning you have a blown head gasket or cracks...Probably wouldn't hurt to have the engine and head rebuilt. Or at least a new head gasket, piston rings, valve guides and springs, and a nice cleaning done...But it sounds like its burning oil..So I'd check your oil...if your oil is low...you know its burning oil..if its not..then something else is burning...also check your plugs...if its burning anitfreeze or water then you'll see a tiny bit of white on the plug...meaning...time for a new head gasket..head..or complete engine.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
pimpston65

ugg, i just got the bill for my rebuild. $900. new head,punched cylinders .30over same rods,new everything else, polished crank etc and i still need to clean,prime and paint the other parts!!! its not so bad to know i will have a newish motor and not just repainted, oh did i mention the new exhaust system $220, lets hope the running gears are good...
Attached Images

pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
crowdaddy

Thanks tj and pimpson, I was greatful you answered, and I have a plan to get it redone. I'm gonna change that oil out, have a look and look at the other things, and get to my mechanic. I will prep up on $ outch.
crowdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
63burban4x4

see my reply to your other post, I suspect the valve seals may have dried out. if so, easy fix
63burban4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote