The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
b_mangrum

64 Fleetside needs some TLC

This truck was my Grandfathers and when he passed away my Aunt got it. She realized she wouldn't be able to get it restored let alone back on the road so she gave it to me knowing that I would fix it and get it going again for him. The truck has been sitting for almost two years now. I haven't been able to really look at the truck since it was given to me around x-mas time. I am military and live in WA and the truck is in NorCal. I will be going down there on leave later this week and will have more information. From what I know it's got a 273 Motor and when he wrecked the radiator was dislodged from it's mount but still (as of x-mas 2013) holds fluid. I already have a replacement hood for it. My goal is to get the engine running while I'm down in Cali at the least. If I can I want it on the road so I can get it up to WA with me so I can keep tinkering with it and make it the awesome truck I know it can be. My goal for this truck is to eventually make it a memorial truck for my grandfather. The last time I seen him was right before I deployed, I got back right before Thanksgiving and was going to get to see him during Christmas. Sunday after thanksgiving he passed away unexpectedly. I would greatly accept any and all advice and recommendations anyone is willing to give. Also I will have more information and pictures to follow when I'm back from leave. Thanks for reading.
Attached Images

b_mangrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
firemanjimtfd

Re: 64 Fleetside needs some TLC

Nice that it was you grandfathers. That's a very hard hit. I would pull the front clip off and make sure the front frame is not bent by a frame shop. If it is straighten or replace frame before changing front end or it will never fit right. Good luck.
firemanjimtfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
1963c-10

Welcome and great history being in the family. Sorry to hear of his passing, but I bet he'd be thrilled that your resuming progress on the truck. Looks like a nice stock pile of hoods behind the truck and with any luck no frame damage as mentioned above. Keep us posted on the progress!!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:35 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

And thanks for your service

That is cool that the truck was your grandfathers, but sorry to hear that he passed before you could see him one more time.

Aside from the obvious parts that need to be replaced, you may also need a radiator support and grill panel. Although those two may be able to be pulled out enough to get you from CA to WA. By the looks of the bumper, I would say that the frame horns are bent.

Also don't throw away some of those front end parts, like the headlight bezels. Those are not reproduced and are hard to find.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #5
jtrichard

at least it was T boned dead center the frame will be easy to straighten
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #6
b_mangrum

Got to tear into the truck the last couple days, I'll post pics later, got it started after putting gas in it since at some point someone was nice enough to siphon the gas out at some point while it was sitting. I'm hoping it's just a filter and not the fuel pump or carb. I'm getting it moved to my Dad's place (he has build two of these trucks from the ground up) hopefully he'll be able to help me out with that and then everything left is cosmetic.

I'll post more as I find out. Thanks again for all the advise as well.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:19 PM   #7
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Welcome and thanks for your service. I think it is awesome that you have the opportunity to restore his pickup.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #8
Jeff La

Nothing better than a family truck, congrats
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:00 AM   #9
b_mangrum

I officially believe in miracles now. I was heading down a road I normally don't travel and noticed a house that had some pick-ups similar to my own but it was too late to stop that day and my family and I had things to do. Two days later I was supposed to meet up with one of my grandparents to have them tow my truck to my dad's house so he can tinker with it or simply so it would be more secured. I ended up not being able to meet with them until a few hours later than originally planned and had time to kill and decided that since that house was on the way to my pickup I would stop and find out if they had any parts for my truck. His name is Dan and I explained to him the situation and while he had sympathy the front clip that he had he was needing for his own pickup he was rebuilding. He did however just get a phone number for a guy that was selling a 64 GMC for parts. Since Dan only needed a cab to finish up his project, and the parts vehicle was only being sold for $500 Dan said that he would go in half on the truck as long as he got the cab and if it had what we both needed. It did and we bought it. Through conversation William (the one selling the parts truck) found out the reason behind my needing the parts that I did. While the parts truck was a GMC he GAVE me a chrome bumper and a CHEVROLET grill that he had tucked away. At that point I was almost in tears. William even let Dan and I use his (very nice I might add) trailer to transport the parts truck. After getting everything back to Dan's place where he had a lift and everything else you could imagine) I was talking to him and thanking him for all his help finding pretty much EVERY part I was needing for my truck, he does EVEN MORE for me. He tells me that we can bring my truck to his place and by the end of the next day he can have it DONE. I was a little skeptical, But, after a LONG day (including sitting at the DMV early that morning to register it) we got all the body parts on there... It came time to start it up... and nothing. It would only crank and sputter. Dan looked over everything and said the only thing he could think of was that it was the carb. After about 30 min of searching his place he couldn't find one for my truck :-( one of his friends mentioned seeing a used Edelbrock carb out at some auto dismantling place for $150. I shot out there really quick and once again through talking the guy behind the desk wanted to know what it would be for and it turns out he knew my Grandfather from way back in the day. I ended up getting $25 bucks off a dang good looking (and WORKING) carb. Long story short I got back there and after putting the new carb on the engine fired right up like nothing had ever happened. After buttoning up a few things I DROVE my grandfathers truck back to where I was staying towing the trailer that it was sitting on that morning. So like I said, I now believe in miracles. Had I met with my other grandparents like we had originally planned I would never have stopped at Dan's place and would never have gotten everything done in a matter of two days. Also as we consolidated parts Dan switched me front clips and, once again GAVE me his which was in better shape and also had a CHROME grill to match the chrome bumper (the bezels for the blinkers and headlights were still in good shape). She still needs some minor fine tuning but as of today I drove her 100 miles up to my dads house. He almost cried seeing it running, he was still under the impression that it was getting towed up.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2014, 04:17 AM   #10
b_mangrum

Here are the rest of the pictures (stupid limits on uploads)
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #11
bj383ss

Wow that is truly awesome. I am so glad they gave you their time and parts and got your truck running. It is something I'm sure you will never forget and pass on if you ever have the chance to help someone else out.

Bret
Old 06-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #12
Jeff La

Great story and some even greater people, now friends
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:44 AM   #13
hopped up

That was fast and easy!!
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:12 AM   #14
earl84

This is one of the greatest truck restoration stories ever! Some really great guys doing some really great deeds. Glad you can get your grandfather's truck going again. Thanks for your service.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:20 PM   #15
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Very cool story and the truck is looking great. Looking forward to seeing more on it.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:35 AM   #16
lha1992

That is a really cool thing those guys helped you an in 2 days your truck was running!!!!!! I see your in Lakewood also an I'm in Everett if your up this way lemme know please! Me an other members of the 60-66 board always get together working on our trucks an just talk trucks so your welcome to stop by anytime!!!
lha1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:08 AM   #17
Woogeroo

Wink Re: 64 Fleetside needs some TLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_mangrum View Post
Here are the rest of the pictures (stupid limits on uploads)
5 photos are allowed per post, whatta ya want for free?

Visit your 60-66 FAQ Index to learn more about the forum and all sorts of weird things about our trucks.

Nice work.

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #18
chakah

What a cool deal. Welcome to the site and thank you for your service. You have a nice truck and great people around you.
'66 swb C-10
'63 Panel
'60 VW vert
'56 VW vert
chakah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #19
b_mangrum

Great news, Truck made it home from Cali and the only issue I ran into was when I got stuck in traffic and it started to overheat a little bit. Shouldn't have that issue tho once I get a shroud put on it, or electric fan. Can't wait to continue to work on the truck :-)
Old 07-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #20
66Submarine

Neat story. Good to hear it made the trip without any problems!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #21
RANDY COX

Very cool to get your G-dad's truck, sorry about his passing before he could see it again.
Congrats....
Old 07-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #22
Mathew21

Great story.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #23
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Glad it went well getting her home.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #24
crowdaddy

What a great story. Your grandfather is proud of you and we are all grateful for your service. Now you have a truck to drive that represents American ingenuity as well as your G-father, plus I know they are fun to drive.
crowdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #25
b_mangrum

Latest Update... Doing some general maintenance and discovered the newest problem. Not sure what to do about it. My dad is saying best thing would be to take it to a shop. From what I have been told my grandfather had this rear end changed to .410 gears and I would like to keep it that way. Any other suggestions?
Attached Images