The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
Rc4mike

Power seat help

Just bought a pair of 07 suburban leather seats. Can't figure out the wires. Anyone have a diagram? I've looked all over and can't figure this out. Most say red/white is power and black is ground. When I hook these up nothing works.
Rc4mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #2
klutz51

Re: Power seat help

That seat runs through a seat module, and it should be under the drive seat. Without a doubt you will need a wiring diagram, it wont run off just power and ground. That seat has sensors to see all the positions of the seatIf you have a fax i can send you wiring diagrams, I work for a GM dealer.
klutz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
Rc4mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz51 View Post
That seat runs through a seat module, and it should be under the drive seat. Without a doubt you will need a wiring diagram, it wont run off just power and ground. That seat has sensors to see all the positions of the seatIf you have a fax i can send you wiring diagrams, I work for a GM dealer.
i was afraid you would say that...now need to find that module. Is there one under each seat? both seats have a large delphi plug....guess the module plugs into that plug?
fax 972-692-5713

thanks
Old 06-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
klutz51

The module should be mounted under the driver seat, a black rectangular shape with multiple plugs in it.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
klutz51

That large plug is where the seat plugs into the main harness of the vehicle, so i would think the module and all the wiring is still in the seat. look for a red wire with white tracer in that big connector and a groud wire the same size wire, and try to power it that way, and the same to the passanger.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
Rc4mike

ALL i have under both seats is a large delphi plug
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #7
Rc4mike

this is the large plug
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #8
Rc4mike

Quote:
That large plug is where the seat plugs into the main harness of the vehicle, so i would think the module and all the wiring is still in the seat. look for a red wire with white tracer in that big connector and a groud wire the same size wire, and try to power it that way, and the same to the passanger.
I do have large red/white and a black. tried to power last night...nothing. they have made these so darn complicated
Old 06-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #9
_Ogre

where's the seat switch? if it's mounted on the seat should be a hot and ground wire, everything else is garbage.
if the switch is not on the seat, get a seat switch and hook it up, 2 wires in, 6 wires out.
hot and ground, plus 3 motors w/2 wires each: front tilt, rear tilt, forward/reverse.
easy peasy

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #10
Rc4mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
where's the seat switch? if it's mounted on the seat should be a hot and ground wire, everything else is garbage.
if the switch is not on the seat, get a seat switch and hook it up, 2 wires in, 6 wires out.
hot and ground, plus 3 motors w/2 wires each: front tilt, rear tilt, forward/reverse.
easy peasy
Switches are on the seat....but i think its the memory seat switch and heated seat switch that runs thru the memory seat box (which i dont have). there are a million wires in the seat harness...looking like position sensors for the memory seat functions
Old 06-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #11
_Ogre

the memory module also hooks to the body control module thru a comunication cable
unless your willing to go thru all that, you still have 3 motors and 8 wires to hook up
all other wires are sensors for location, seat belts and occupied seat.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456943

find a similar year electric seat without the memory module and get the seat switch
it's probably a simple switch swap and the motor harness may not need to be modified

Old 06-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #12
_Ogre

then you have a basic seat like this 2001 tahoe seat, you may need to grab the switch and seat panel to make it work
8 wires: hot, ground and 2 wires to each of the 3 motors
my 09 sierra has basic electric seats with no memory module

Old 06-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
Rc4mike

Talking Re: Power seat help

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
the memory module also hooks to the body control module thru a comunication cable
unless your willing to go thru all that, you still have 3 motors and 8 wires to hook up
all other wires are sensors for location, seat belts and occupied seat.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456943

find a similar year electric seat without the memory module and get the seat switch
it's probably a simple switch swap and the motor harness may not need to be modified
fun...maybe ill just use my bench seat
Old 06-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #14
_Ogre

those tall seats look a little silly in a tf cab any way
i used an 07 fusion seat, minus the headrest and chopped 6 inches to get the right look
but then i had the cost of upholstering them too, they are comfy for long trips
just completed 2700 miles with minimal butt rash

Old 06-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #15
Rc4mike

So upon further review, I do have the module under drivers seat. So I wonder what I need to make it run? Just the door module w memory and heated seat buttons?
Old 06-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #16
klutz51

Ok I went through the seat operation and the module controls all the motors of the seat, so that means unless you have everything hooked up it won't work. Now i don't know about going directly to the motor itself I have never done that it is still just a bidirectional motor.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #17
Rc4mike

Quote:
Ok I went through the seat operation and the module controls all the motors of the seat, so that means unless you have everything hooked up it won't work. Now i don't know about going directly to the motor itself I have never done that it is still just a bidirectional motor.
i wonder what all i need to have hooked up? i know there is a switch on the door with the memory and heat switches...i wonder what else i need. Could it be so simple that all i need is the that switch wired into the module under the seat?
Old 06-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #18
Rc4mike

Im thinking of bypassing the memory module under the seat and wiring from switches on side of seat directy to each motor....byassing all sensors. i got recline motor to work by disconnecting it from the rest of wires in the seat. seat has so many sensors that direct wiring may be the only way to make this work
Old 06-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #19
_Ogre

grab the side panel with the switch too

Old 06-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #20
klutz51

That wont work with that set up. The switch only tells the module what direction, the module does all the work to move the motors. A seat without a module set up will use the same switch as the one you have.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #21
OrrieG

If the switches function like the ones in the wiring diagram (+ to both sides of switch then to motor to determine direction, ground from switch to complete the circuit) it should be easy to bi-pass the sensors. You have lots of wire to work with!!
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #22
klutz51

That is not the diagram for that seat. All seat functions run through the module. Go on line and look up the wiring diagram for a 2007 GMC Denali seat. In 2007 there are 25 modules/computers that communicate at all times, with safety being #1 factor in new cars. EVERYTHING has to communicate through GMLAN, and these seats have to communicate so if you get in a crash the vehicle knows where the driver and passengers are seated to make adjustments. My opinion would be to get rid of these and try to find some with out all the problems. I have 2000 Cadillac DTS seats all power no module and power and ground only.I am not trying to bust your bubble, but you are asking for more work than it is worth.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:54 PM   #23
Rc4mike

Quote:
That is not the diagram for that seat. All seat functions run through the module. Go on line and look up the wiring diagram for a 2007 GMC Denali seat. In 2007 there are 25 modules/computers that communicate at all times, with safety being #1 factor in new cars. EVERYTHING has to communicate through GMLAN, and these seats have to communicate so if you get in a crash the vehicle knows where the driver and passengers are seated to make adjustments. My opinion would be to get rid of these and try to find some with out all the problems. I have 2000 Cadillac DTS seats all power no module and power and ground only.I am not trying to bust your bubble, but you are asking for more work than it is worth.
They sure have made a simple electric seat complicated! Spent $1000 bucks on these so it's,tough to just get older pair. I may try to wire direct to switches...maybe just one motor first to seem if this is possible.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:18 PM   #24
gag1025

That is why I used a 1999 Chevy truck seat. The only two essential wires are the red and black. Mine has the heating elements but I did not hook this system up. It would not have done any good to do that because you have to have the computer, etc. for this to function properly.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:18 PM   #25
Rc4mike

Good news. I probed and mapped the pins on the seat switch. 8 way. 10 pins. Wiring the proper pins to the recline motor and adding power and ground to the other pins and it worked!!!!

So this means I can bypass memory module and all the sensors and go from switch to each motor in the seat. I leave tomorrow for a week's vacation so ill wire all motors in a week. Stay tuned.m thanks for the help