The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
bulletdabrain

Door Question

I got some doors that are gutted that I want to put on my truck and I found a set of beat up doors with all the windows, vents, rollers etc. How difficult is it to put that stuff in and are all the doors the same? I think the gutted doors are off a K5..My current doors have slow ass electric windows and a nice dent in the lower part of the passenger side that can't be fixed
bulletdabrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
riz

Re: Door Question

I'd say it's a bit of work ahead of you, there's more in a door than one would think. The window glass shouldn't be too bad but the track that's connected to the wing window could be some struggles. I have to do the same thing soon myself and I'm wondering the same thing. I guess it would be smart to take pictures of the door that all the stuff is coming off of and use those as a reference in case you get stumped while putting it all into the other door skin.

RIZ
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
bulletdabrain

it does seem like a lot of work. Theres a local guy that has a set of complete k5 doors in great condition for 300 that I'm trying to get the price lowered. Kinda sucks, that door is the only thing slowing me down.
bulletdabrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
riz

Minor setback. I'm currently stumped with my rear tail lights too...... it's holding up my progress.

RIZ
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
Your41Plague12

They're not bad until you strip out the impact screws holding the hinges in

Make SURE you keep adequate pressure on them. They look like regular philips head screws, but they're fine thread and you need to use an impact driver on them. The door handle mechanism can be tricky too. Disconnect the linkage rod at the latch, not the handle. Pull the rod out attached to the handle, it will save you a headache. The vent window/track can be a bit of a pain too, but just fool around with it until it comes out. There's definitely a science to putting it back in the right way though, if you install the glass first. Other than that, the doors are pretty straightforward. I had to do the same thing when I swapped to aftermarket doors on my K20 (which, by the way, I will never do again; they're not even close to correct in any manner).
Bushwacker Cutouts, 38x15.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws,
350 HP 350 crate engine from Jegs, Turbo 400
Your41Plague12 is offline   Reply With Quote