The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
Paul83

700r4 lock up question with stock wires

I know this question is asked a lot. I have looked through multiple threads and am now cross eyed. There is clearly tons of information on how the lock ups work. What I need to know is where do I hook up the stock wires for my 83 700r4? I have the stock wires and unhooked them from another truck and am putting them on my current truck. Problem is I unhooked it about a year ago and forgot where it went. If there is any one that can tell me where the wires hook up inside the cab and outside too? Thank you to any one who can help.

I like long walks on the beach, dinner by candle light, and poking dead things with a stick.
Paul83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Re: 700r4 lock up question with stock wires

The sensor is located on right firewall next to A/C box.
Read this carefully: http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/lockup.htm

I ditched all stock wiring in my truck. I installed a 2500 stall converter instead. It will lock up in 3rd or prior to shifting to OD. Works great in my combo.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
Paul83

Ok. I also have a 2500 stall in my tranny. Does this mean I do not need a lock up installed then?

I like long walks on the beach, dinner by candle light, and poking dead things with a stick.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:44 PM   #4
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

It depends on design. Is the 700R4 setup for running a stall converter? Is the transmission modified?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
Paul83

The transmission was not modified. But good news anyway; the tranny blew on a test drive and had to get towed home. The great thing about this is that one of my old donor trucks had a 400 sitting behind a 4.3 v6. I had this sitting off to the side thinking it was just a 200. But in a desperate move I checked it out anyway and turns out it was a 400. Had I known this was the case. I never would have put the 700 back in the truck anyway. Best $100 donor truck ever.