The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Hugh Mongus

Is it just me?

So, I dropped my truck off last week to have some stuff done to it. I called yesterday to make sure everything was going ok. The guy proceeded to tell me how much he enjoyed driving my truck around town to pick up parts, and that the guys at his local parts supply house really liked my truck too.

Am I just an asshole, or would you all be pissed if someone was out cruising town in your truck?
Old 07-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
trac209

Re: Is it just me?

I don't take my stuff to get work done anywhere but if I did and that happened that shop wouldn't ever get my business again
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

I would be pissed!
That is not a road test.

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
lowrodderchev

I'd be pissed REAL PISSED!!!! very unprofessional on there part. your truck aint a parts runner for them and are they going to put gas in it for you
Old 07-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
Hugh Mongus

I pick it up Thursday, so I don't know if they are replacing the fuel or not. I would guess no. I didn't say anything negative on the phone because I didn't want them to sabotage my truck or bump up my bill.

I agree with Trac209, I won't ever take it there again. I am a little frustrated with myself. I try to do everything myself, but I have so much going on, I decided to pay them to do this. (they were recommended) I guess this is a good lesson learned.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
truckster

That's outrageous! An ethical shop will only drive a customer's vehicle for necessary road tests - no more. I would get my truck back, and then spread the word around town about these clowns.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
trac209

I will add this sentiment. After paying and making sure everything is ok with my truck first I would voice your thoughts about cruising around with your classic truck. And yes spread the word about these fools especially to whomever recommended them to you! Unreal how people get treated these days.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #8
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

I'd be very upset. Deduct their mileage from the bill when you pay it, or how does $39.99/day sound for renting a classic truck. Ask them for their keys, and tell them that you need to go to the store.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
lowrodderchev

I took my 57 to the glass shop and that was my big worry thinking theyd be driving it around. but they had a hard time starting it then after he got it started he did know how the lokar shifter worked(push button). so after that I wasn't as worried LOL
Old 07-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #10
Hugh Mongus

It's good to know you all feel the way I feel. I thought maybe I was just being...well you know.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #11
67 cst swb

This happens more than you think. I know of numerous shops both when I lived in the Dallas, Texas area and now here in South Dakota. When a Technician needs parts from a parts store they will take a customers vehicle for a 'test drive", not only does it gets their parts faster than waiting for a delivery. It gives the technician an opportunity to check any drivability concerns that may be related to repairs being made.
I know of a alignment shop here in my town that drives every car they align on a specific route each time... this route happens to have 3 parts store, 1 salvage yard, 3 tire stores, 5 dealerships and 6+ fast food drive-thru's. If he needs anything while on this test drive... he just stops and gets it. The shop insurance covers the vehicles while being driven on "test drives".
When I worked in parts stores in the past. I have seen numerous hot rods, unique vehicle, etc... when a technician was on a "test drive" and was picking up parts and said... "come look at this customers car/truck, its pretty cool"

That not to say I wouldn't be a little unhappy to see my truck in the Dairy Queen drive thru when I dropped it off for some work to be done, but... It happens way more than we know.
Just think if he had not complimented you on your cool ride... would you even have known?
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White

Last edited by 67 cst swb; 07-01-2014 at 04:14 PM.
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #12
trac209

The reasons above are the reasons I would never trust a shop. I don't care what thier excuse is my ride isn't their company vehicle case closed.^^^^^^
Old 07-01-2014, 05:30 PM   #13
midniteblues

i'd be a lil' upset. it just doesnt sit well with me at all.
too many things could happen.
sure insureance will cover it but what about your blood sweat and tears.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #14
67swb72klb

that's just crazy unacceptable on all levels
Old 07-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #15
Kapote

My friends dad had a shop and i took my 84 to him to do emissions and inspection, usually a short thing. but he said he was a little behind and work me in and to just leave my truck. 4 hours later i get there and get in to leave, there was a Mcdonalds bag on the seat and 1\2 tank of gas was gone. I was furious, after that i realized how often he came home in different cars. Even taking customers cars to the store to get groceries, and he often drives them home at night and back in the morning.
Kapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #16
WH0DAMAN

I would be pretty upset. I own a shop and there is NO WAY I would take a customers car anywhere for personal reasons. That is totally unethical. I just don't get how somebody can think using a customers car for personal business would be ok. The world is full of people lacking common sense.

My 70 Chevy Suburban build:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=574056&page=3
WH0DAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #17
LSUMurse

I say you figure out what Home Depot would charge for a week of truck rental and ask them to deduct it from the bill. If you know the mileage that would be even better.

If your life is a joke, it appears death will be your punchline.
LSUMurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #18
Dan Wales

Had a test drive not been agreed on when I took it in, as has been said after the bill was paid the OWNER would have gotten an earful from me.

I do know of shops that the owner doesn't know that his employee's are doing or has done this.

This is truly a very bad business practice.

Dan
Dan Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #19
Aussie Ol' Blue

Location: Sassafras. Victoria. The beautiful Mount Dandenong Ranges

Absolutely unacceptable! I’d be bloody furious. Fortunately, my mechanic has his books done by my missus, so if he tried something like that he’d be in double deep doo-doo. I’d suggest Hugh, that you change mechanic anyway for being twice over stupid. Once for abusing your trust and using your truck the way he did and then for bragging about it to you! Doesn’t sound real bright.
The other thing, at least in Oz, that we need to be careful about is our “Hoon Laws”. I understand the mechanic was eventually found not guilty, which makes the owners civil case for compensation even more difficult

http://www.news.com.au/national/lamb...-1225817120600

IF YOU'RE GUNNA SKATE ON THIN ICE, YOU MAY AS WELL TAP DANCE!
Aussie Ol' Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:40 PM   #20
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Im pretty sure if some shop was out driving my ride id be kickin some azz like right now..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #21
big_al_71

I would be beyond pissed....

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #22
hugger6933

Well most of you that know me know I own a body shop,if he was out getting parts it means this was done BEFORE any repairs were made to the truck. So that left the shop owner only one reason why it would be needed to drive the truck and that most certainly would have been discussed at drop off and that would be a intermediate problem, one that happens at certain times during drives or whatever we have run into those before, all of us have. Now the only time I would drive a customers car is to take it to my shop from their work place or house and the road in front of my shop and back[there are two one is a one mile test the other is about 2.5 miles]and then deliver back to the customer. My shop is about six miles out of town so I do pick up and customer delivery at no charge to them as just a help so they don't have to fool with coming out to my shop but they are told they are always welcome weather I'm working on theirs or not.
I don't think the practice that the shop owner in this post is doing his people right I'm sorry your having to deal with this at least he didn't call from the roadside saying he smacked up your truck while chasing your parts. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #23
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Ol' Blue View Post
The other thing, at least in Oz, that we need to be careful about is our “Hoon Laws”.
Huh, I had to look that one up. Hoon, indeed.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #24
67chevy1series

Wow I would be so pissed at them I would probably have to have somebody else go pickup the truck or things would get nasty. I always HATE when there's something I don't have the right tools do (like the alignment) and I have to take my truck to a shop...
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #25
69SCSS

That's something I worry about any time I've had work done. Leaving your car or truck with a shop doesn't give them the right to just use it how they please.
I would never bring anything back to a shop that did that, I don't care what the reason is.
69SCSS is offline   Reply With Quote