The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2014, 12:22 AM   #1
Rednwhitec20

What now? Engine problems

Hello all I have a 1971 c20 350/350. I just replace fuel filters,air filter, plugs, points and condenser, and reset my timing. My truck will not spin the tires when I stomp on the pedal and can barely if I use the breaks. I can get it to spin them around a corner but it seems slow. Is it the carburetor or what? I need help on how to wake up this engine. Timing is set at 12 degrees.
Rednwhitec20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
truckster

Re: What now? Engine problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednwhitec20 View Post
Hello all I have a 1971 c20 350/350. I just replace fuel filters,air filter, plugs, points and condenser, and reset my timing. My truck will not spin the tires when I stomp on the pedal and can barely if I use the breaks. I can get it to spin them around a corner but it seems slow. Is it the carburetor or what? I need help on how to wake up this engine. Timing is set at 12 degrees.
You're driving a truck that's 43 years old that never had an excess of power in the first place. Your expectations are probably a little bit unrealistic.

If you want to be able to burn the tires, you're probably going to have to consider swapping engine, trans, rear gears, or all three.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
geezer#99

Have you verified your timing marks?
What other mods to your motor?
What tranny?
What gears?
What tires?
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
Rednwhitec20

How much of a difference will getting a new performance cam, carb, and intake make
Rednwhitec20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
67swb72klb

before spending more $ on it do a compression and a leak down test and see if you have a healthy engine
Old 07-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67swb72klb View Post
before spending more $ on it do a compression and a leak down test and see if you have a healthy engine

agreed

Look at it like this, Brand new your truck had a net Hp rating of around 200 at the real wheels pushing 4,000 lbs. These trucks were built for work. not hot rodding.

Before you tear into that motor even if it is healthy do your research. Cam will need lifters, probably a change of valve springs. If the heads have never been out depending on the mileage what shape are the valves in? then match intake, maybe you can tune your carb to the new setup.
What shape is the transmission in?
What kind of rear gearing do you have with what tires?
You could easily throw a ton of money at that engine and still not get the results you want.
You might want to do Some homework before you decide. There is never a Guaranteed win when it comes to Racing (I used the term racing because of what your trying to achieve)
Best of luck! I hope you can smoke the tires off it one day.

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
earl84

Don't discount the advice already given in the quest for a burnout. Rear end gears, tire size, etc play a huge role in how your truck reacts from a dead stop. Putting those components into a worn out engine is throwing good money after bad, so make sure you do the compression check and leakdown test first. Just like a solid house, you have to build a good foundation first. You might get lucky, but you might get burned. A couple simple tests and a little research will save you massive headaches and dollars later.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
truckster

If your goal is just to be able to burn the tires, rear gears will likely get you there quickest/cheapest. I had a 70 3/4 ton with a 250 straight six and I could burn the tires because the rear end was a 4.56. It topped out at about 60 MPH, and it was screaming at that speed.

You really need to know more about what you have before you start throwing money down a hole. Find out what your rear gear ratio is. Check compression and leakdown. Verify the condition of the trans.

It's a good idea to make friends with someone who really knows what they're doing. Find a local machine shop or engine builder who you can talk to.

This board is a great place to get ideas and advice, but you really need to be careful before you start throwing money at your truck. It can get really expensive really fast.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #9
cg285

do what the drag racers do. spin them up in a pool of water :-)
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote