The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2014, 03:10 AM   #1
justin5976

1956 chevy stepside short bed frame ?

I'm an owner of a 1956 chevy short bed stepside and starting on building a resto mod and starting on a frame up rebuild. I am starting on the frame which has the frontend swapped with what looks like a 70-79 Camaro subframe. I have a few questions? I'm looking to do this project right and not cut any corners. It appears the graft of the sub frame was done right but other areas are not to my standards.
First off the motor mounts were moved and welded on and moved an inch beyond the mounting surface (which I believe was for clearance of the SBC distributor from the firewall) problem is the engine sat so low doesn't seem there is any clearance to add headers and power steering pulley almost hitting the power steering box. I bought some metal tower mounts to weld in. Anyone have suggestions?
Second, I'm looking to add a posi rear end with rear disc brakes so purchased 95 impala ss rearend with I believe has a longer wheel base then original. Will this 1.5 inch longer on each side cause me headaches in the future. Again any suggestions would be appreciated.

And my third question is if I use the impala rear and have the Camaro frontend I will have two different bolt patterns for my wheels what is the best way to fix this problem?

I'm new to this forum and to the build world but would like to do as much as I can myself. I want to end up with a old looking truck with some modern updates that will be a nice hiway runner
justin5976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 1956 chevy stepside short bed frame ?

I do think the Camaro and Impala have different bolt circles so you need to check it. being 66" wide rear you will have to use wheels with a different offset to compensate.

If you can have the cab on the frame and hang the engine to see where the mounts need to go. You may need to recess the firewall to get it in correctly.

Post some pictures of what your seeing and concerned with
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
_Ogre

welcome to the forum
if you read this forum much,,, we like pics. lots of them

easiest way to get the same wheel width/pattern is to use a similar 2nd gen camaro rearend with posi
i have the 3rd gen trans am rearend in truk, it will also have the same bolt pattern

unless you were able to drive the truck with the clip installed, i would do some serious measuring to see that it was installed correctly
nothing like getting your truck done only to find out it won't drive right

as mentioned, post some pics of the frame and body. even if it's in pieces
if you use the stock mounts on the camaro it will have the motor real low in the engine bay
best way to locate the motor and trans is to throw the cab on, with new rubber mounts
hang the motor and trans then fabricate mounts for both

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
OrrieG

Make sure you have the transmission on with trans mount. Intake needs to be on too. The intake needs to be level, that will give the engine about 4 degrees back down angle. Raising it up MAY cause bellhousing hump and inside floor issues as well as cross member issues for the drive shaft. I agree with dumping the Impala rearend and getting an IROC or Firebird Transam unit with discs and posi. Narrower and right bolt pattern. Both are still realily available, and in some guys have picked up whole cars, pulled what they needed and sold the rest to break even dollar wise.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote