The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2014, 11:12 PM   #1
DrMr

82 GMC shocks

I just bought a 1982 GMC standard cab rear wheel drive longbed "Camper Special" and the shocks are totally destroyed. I am running empty most of the time and any bumps result in the front end bottoming out. She floats around the road like a boat. I checked out Bilsteins and KYB MonoMax shocks. Nobody yet has been able to find any recommendations on which shock is best for a Camper Special. With 9 leafs and a helper, it stands a lot taller than my 87...and I want to be sure the shocks I choose are the right ones. At this point I am planning to go with the KYBs, as Bilstein is backordered for an undetermined length of time. I might only replace the front ones, as the rear doesn't seem to travel much with no load.

I've emailed or called EVERY source I can find, and this includes the tech folks at both companies. The local GMC dealer finally dug up OEM part numbers for the original shocks (no longer on the truck) and I'm waiting for the tech guy to email back and let me know if he was able to determine the proper MonoMax for my application.

They wanted me to measure the travel...but I don't know how to get the rear suspension to move through it's full range. Those springs are massive.

Anyone out there dealt with this?
DrMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: 82 GMC shocks

I have a similar setup on my 82. I went in and told the guy at advanced ( commercial sales guy with lots of experience) and he gave me a set of KYB load leveler type shocks.. I forget the exact model but they work wonders. My truck is a garage queen tho and only goes to shows never hauls anything anymore

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
DrMr

KYB makes "Gas Adjust", "MonoMax", and "AGX" models. Do you know which you have?
Old 07-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Trixxterr

KYB also makes the Excel-G. Which is the stock OE replacement for MOST applications.
Trixxterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
DrMr

just heard back from the KYB tech person who confirmed the part numbers I need. I'm going with the MonoMax, as this is one jumpy beast and needs all the calming down it can get.

Thanks for your input.