The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
jjdowney

My First Build - '72 C-20 LWB

So I started documenting this in the main message board and I figured I should move it here so I'll just copy the first few comments of that other thread here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdowney View Post
I just picked up my first project truck today, traded my '99 Silverado ext cab for it. I'm hoping I don't regret it but I'm excited to get started on it. Here's a couple pics of both and I'll be posting more as I go. Mostly for my own records, but also hopefully for your enjoyment (I'll definitely need help ).
Quote:
New and old
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHax View Post
TRAVIS?? ....sorry, the truck you traded is the EXACT truck my buddy is trying to sell.

Looks like a great base for a fun project! What are your plans for it?
Quote:
I haven't completely decided what I want to do yet. I'm going to do all the small fixes first, then see how much money I have to start doing fun stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHax View Post
Good rule of thumb, when planning a project, is to write down all of what you think you'll do, add it all up, then double it.
Attached Images

jjdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
jjdowney

Re: My First Build - '72 C-20 LWB

a couple more...

Quote:
Finally have some updates... I haven't had the cash to do much to it for the last few months (I spent it all at x-mas buying a welder and other garage toys). Then, a couple weeks ago, my rear driver's side tire decided to give out. It stayed inflated but the rubber just came undone and beat the crap out of fender. Luckily I happen to have full coverage on my insurance (I never took it off from my last truck ) and they gave my some cash to fix it. I figure I'll deal with the body work later, I want to start on the interior and buy the lowering parts.

So, thanks to GMCPauls and Western Chassis, I will be dropping the front 2" with lowering coils and at least 2" in the rear with lowering shackles. I will be attempting a leaf spring flip in the rear as well for around 5" I expect, which means I'll also need a C-notch.

My question, which I posted in the main forum, is what drop spindles can I use without having to do the C-10 conversion? I found these which are in the right price range, Chassis Tech C-20 Drop Spindles but will they work? Do I need to change out everything else (ie. control arms, etc) to use these like I would with a C-10 conversion setup?

Or do I have to do something like these Western Chassis C-20 Drop Spindles which cost like $135 more? obviously, I'd love someone to say "oh yeah use the cheap ones, they're great!" Any input/advice is welcome.
Quote:
Carpet came in. Also, here is a pic of the body damage from the blown tire. What really sucks is there is a lot of tread left, sucker just came right off.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
jjdowney

Re: My First Build - '72 C-20 LWB

Drop springs came in today! These should give me 2" drop in the front. I still haven't figured out if I can use the less expensive drop spindles yet.

Also, my truck has all the A/C components except a compressor so I've been looking for one. I am hoping that I don't have to buy a brand new one, and do not have the cash to by a vintage air system, even though I would love to. So I found this one that a guy nearby took out of his truck a couple months ago. Hopefully it wont take too much to get it working properly, otherwise I have some learning I get to do soon.
Attached Images