The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
lahnen

loose tilt column

the tilt column my 89 burban over the last 2 weeks has gotten real loose, if I pull the wheel off is there something I can tighten up to fix it or should I look for a new column.
lahnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: loose tilt column

Are you talking about the steering wheel itself or the whole tilt column? If it is the whole column, then there are two bolts under the dash that hold the column in place. I have had those left loose after "mechanics" worked on my truck.

If the steering wheel itself is loose, I am not sure. It really should not come loose because it is in place under a nut and the pressure of a metal plate, so I am no help there.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:54 PM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

My bet is that you are talking about the whole tilt assembly flopping around within itself. The columns on these trucks had an issue with the four bolts inside the column housing coming loose and letting this happen. To fix this, you will need some specialized tools to get into the column a and remove and coat the bolts with lock-tight and then reinsert and tighten them.

You will need a steering wheel puller and then a tool to pull the pins out of the pivot assembly of the tilt mechanism. (See attached ). This trick is one that can frustrate you, since the small pilot bolt on this can break easily. You will also need an internal torx socket to get the bolts out of the column, so that you can clean them and re-install them.

http://store.snapon.com/Steering-Whe...--P635347.aspx
Old 07-10-2014, 06:28 AM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
My bet is that you are talking about the whole tilt assembly flopping around within itself. The columns on these trucks had an issue with the four bolts inside the column housing coming loose and letting this happen. To fix this, you will need some specialized tools to get into the column a and remove and coat the bolts with lock-tight and then reinsert and tighten them.

You will need a steering wheel puller and then a tool to pull the pins out of the pivot assembly of the tilt mechanism. (See attached ). This trick is one that can frustrate you, since the small pilot bolt on this can break easily. You will also need an internal torx socket to get the bolts out of the column, so that you can clean them and re-install them.

http://store.snapon.com/Steering-Whe...--P635347.aspx
you forgot the lock plate tool too.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
you forgot the lock plate tool too.
Yep, you are right. However, I have taken a steering column apart on the road with screwdrivers and cat bars, so there is a tool for that, but it can be done by hand with some ingenuity.

Here it is.

http://store.snapon.com/Steering-Whe...e-P647234.aspx
Old 07-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
tucsonjwt

Steering wheel puller can be borrowed from most parts stores, not sure about that other column tool.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lahnen View Post
the tilt column my 89 burban over the last 2 weeks has gotten real loose, if I pull the wheel off is there something I can tighten up to fix it or should I look for a new column.
I just did mine, bought the tools at Napa.

57NAPCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:15 PM   #8
lahnen

yes the tilt assembly is whats moving around. thanks for the help guys. I always need an excuse to buy more tools so think I will do some shopping and hope I have no issues fixing it
lahnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
1774btcrew

When you do rebuild it take your time and degrease everything and use a good quality grease in reassembly. I have built roughly 20 of these columns and while it gets easier with each one it still seems like I forget a step every now and then and have to take it apart. Watch the videos a couple times and make sure you have a good clean work area where you can keep track of all of the parts.

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote