The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
Hogger54

Cadillac DeVille tail light wiring?

Anyone installed DeVille tail lights in their truck?
Can you tell me how you wired them?
Hogger54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Cadillac DeVille tail light wiring?

Will probably vary by year of the Caddy??
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
Hogger54

Crap, I don't know what year they are from.
All three lights have brown and black wires. I'm guessing black is ground, and brown is tail lights. Then the top two have a yellow wire, that I'm guessing is for turn signals.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
OrrieG

is the housing plastic or metal? I would just start jumping wires from a battery and see what lites up. I the housing is metal it is probably is the ground, if not black is a good guess. There are only 9 possible combinations....
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:08 AM   #5
mr48chev

Too big, and not even close to right on an AD truck no matter how you mount them. They work in a later trucks because you can french them in the fleetside box ends vertically and they look decent if done right.

I'd Ebay or swap meet them and get some lights that looked right on the truck with the money. Nothing looks worse than something that has all the appearances that it was stuck on as an afterthought or because the builder didn't want to go to the effort of finding something that looked right on the vehicle.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
Hogger54

Gee, thanks for your positive feedback. It's nice to hear what YOU want me to do with MY truck.
You want to dictate what get's done with it, then YOU fork over some cash to pay for parts.
Ya, ya.... I get it, it's just your opinion. Too far beyond an opinion when you tell me what to do.
How do you even know how I'm going to mount them, or where I'm going to mount them. Maybe I'm asking because they are going on someone else's truck, and I'm helping them. Get the facts before you go criticizing someones ideas, plans, and work.
Should I give you my "opinion" of your truck?......

Where would hot rods, and vehicle customization be today if the guys back in the 40's, 50's, and 60's listened to every Debbie Downer back then? Chop the top on your car? You'll ruin it. It will look funny. Remove your fenders? Your car will get dirty, you'll throw rocks, it won't look right. You want to do what to your engine? It won't run right, it'll use too much gas, you'll blow up your engine. You what to paint it how? It will look horrible, cars should be one color. You want different tail lights? They're too big, they won't look right..........
Old 07-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
58CameoAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Too big, and not even close to right on an AD truck no matter how you mount them. They work in a later trucks because you can french them in the fleetside box ends vertically and they look decent if done right.

I'd Ebay or swap meet them and get some lights that looked right on the truck with the money. Nothing looks worse than something that has all the appearances that it was stuck on as an afterthought or because the builder didn't want to go to the effort of finding something that looked right on the vehicle.
mr48chev, What Really is Blowing Up Your Dress Cowboy?
didn't your Mama teach you, if you don't have anything GOOD to Say! Then DON'T Say Anything AT ALL!!!!! Mind your own door step!
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #8
oldman3

Installed these Caddy lights in a 67 stepside stake pockets. The kit had LED lights so it wasn't as deep as the stock lights. Have gotten a lot of compliments on how well people like them...Jim
Attached Images

oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:29 AM   #9
Hogger54

Those look sweet. Certainly don't look like an afterthought.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:11 AM   #10
58CameoAZ

Oldman3, Glad You spent a little effort in finding something that Looks Right
on the Vehicle!
Nice Job!
Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #11
mr48chev

Ok, my bad but I see way too many vehicles at car shows with stuff that guys stuck on them because it looked great on some other vehicle or they got it cheap or free without giving much thought as to how it will look in the end.
Then there is the other bunch who see something that looks great on one model of truck as the lights do on the one Oldman showed where he spent a lot of hours fitting them in to the panels as he does on everything he does to get what he does right on the money almost every time.
Now the question is that can you fit them in your truck so they look as great as those do on that truck? either vertically in the uprights or horizontally in the panel under the tailgate?

As for wiring it should be pretty simple, The two with three wires have the stop/turn wire, Tail light wire and ground wire. I'm sitting in a motel room in Las Vegas and don't have access to any gm color code charts but the color coding should be the same as all other gm vehicles. Black for ground, the color that matches the color of wires on the other light will be tail and the two that are different from light to light will be stop/turn. If you don't have modern column one light can be stop and one can be turn . The backup light on the bottom has one for power and the ground wire.

I didn't mean to P--- you off but over the past 43 years of going to car shows I have seen too many otherwise great vehicles that had things like tail lights stuck on them that just don't fit in with the rest of the vehicle for one reason or another. My thinking was and is that unless you can carry this off like Oldman did where the lights blend in with the rest of the truck and look like they belong there they will look like they were stuck on as an afterthought. I'd rather have you mad at me for a few minutes for commenting on it than have guys standing around the back of your truck laughing and pointing at it at the first car show you took it to.

The last question to ask yourself is do the lights blend in with everything else you are doing on the truck? They have to blend in with the rest of the theme for the truck and be a part of that theme.

Oldman made one point and that is that they may not fit at all. Hold one up to the stanchion / post and see if they fit there as I think they will stick out past the post and not have clearance They might work under the tailgate but you will have to cut out part of the back side of the back crossmember/panel to get them to clear that panel as there isn't much room there. They do sell buckets to french them in with for 40 or 50 bucks depending on the light that make it a bit easier of a project https://www.google.com/search?q=cadi...x-a&channel=sb

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 07-12-2014 at 09:34 AM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #12
Hogger54

You STILL have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with these lights. Yet you still continue to be rude, judgmental, and make assumptions about myself and my build based on what someone else has done to THEIR vehicle.
You aren't worth the key strokes to continue.... Good luck with YOUR build.

Thank you to the others who have helped with my question whether you agree with different tail lights or not.