The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
72rtchallenger

new here and building a 1954 gmc 150

Just bought this truck for $2800 and its complete , taking it off frame and putting on a ford frame 79 f150 with 302 motor c6 tranny is the plan .

72rtchallenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: new here and building a 1954 gmc 150

Nice starting point but you kind of lost me at Ford... Don't get me wrong my daughter and I have a 65 Mustang we are restoring, but AD on a Ford chassis and drive train just does not seem right. Lots of good advice here on the body and interior stuff, but will probably need to find a F-1 forum for the chassis stuff. Maybe some of the thread here on using same late 70s era C-10 chassis swaps might help??
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Nice looking truck and definitely to each his own but a...ffffffford?! Its supposed to be the other way around, built ford tough with chevy (or gmc) stuff!
‘69 K10 SWB: 4” lift 33”s… in a million pieces http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 35x12.5x20’s
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
72rtchallenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Nice starting point but you kind of lost me at Ford... Don't get me wrong my daughter and I have a 65 Mustang we are restoring, but AD on a Ford chassis and drive train just does not seem right. Lots of good advice here on the body and interior stuff, but will probably need to find a F-1 forum for the chassis stuff. Maybe some of the thread here on using same late 70s era C-10 chassis swaps might help??
Well I want modern driving and happen to have a 79 ford chassis with great motor and drive train, so the cheapest route is to use the ford , there is no computer so wiring is not a problem and I am going to cut out firewall and floor and mold to fit the ford firewall and floor , an I know its alot of work but have more time than money , and the fabricating is not a problem , the wheel base isnt to much different , by the time I get cab were it needs to be located I need to make up around 5" and I have some plans for that , and the firewall isnt a big problem , it will be the floor that will give me the most problem but I have plenty of time and a good welder so it will be a project but once I get the cab in place , the rest wont be as big of an issue , I am keeping the interior to mostly a stock look with some nice aftermarket gauges and need to find the right bucket seats , and may be able to add a/c if I can get the parts , I have a vision of what I need to do and have plenty of time but want to keep cost down as my labor is free . Appreciate the advice and wish me luck , I love all the old autos and hope I dont offend anybody with the swap it just happens to be the parts I have at hand .
Old 07-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #5
72rtchallenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
Nice looking truck and definitely to each his own but a...ffffffford?! Its supposed to be the other way around, built ford tough with chevy (or gmc) stuff!
Well it will look like the GMC it is when driving no one will see the frame
Old 07-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #6
69l46vert

I recently came into a 54 GMC 100 for cheap money. My first thought was to set it on a 72 GMC 3/4 to 4wd just because I happened to have it sitting out back already. Board member OrrieG warned me away from this plan since the track width is very different especially at the front. After measuring it wow, the difference is huge. As much as 12" IIRC. I'd imagine that the Ford is wide too. Yours looks like a nice original 150. Mine is missing a lot of parts since a PO started down the hot rod building road and simply gave up. If mine was as complete as yours, I would at least consider leaving it stock.
69l46vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
72rtchallenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69l46vert View Post
I recently came into a 54 GMC 100 for cheap money. My first thought was to set it on a 72 GMC 3/4 to 4wd just because I happened to have it sitting out back already. Board member OrrieG warned me away from this plan since the track width is very different especially at the front. After measuring it wow, the difference is huge. As much as 12" IIRC. I'd imagine that the Ford is wide too. Yours looks like a nice original 150. Mine is missing a lot of parts since a PO started down the hot rod building road and simply gave up. If mine was as complete as yours, I would at least consider leaving it stock.
Yea I have been measuring and the ford is wider but not drastically different , I will be mocking it up to the ford floor pan , as the old gmc floor had to be redone anyways and has to come completely apart every were to paint
So will mock up how its going to sit on the frame before I get to much welding and cutting done were it couldn't be removed , as they sell a new floor and firewall if I cant make the ford work as needed I may go different but that would mean waiting a lot longer before I could do much , the ford is a cost thing that will save me alot of money so its going be tried for that reason alone , and the ford is a half ton and the gmc a 3/4 and that gmc gearing would be slow driving an original , the half ton ford will be nicer and faster if I can make it work . Its going to be a project for sure