The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
Mr.Hyde

a few questions

Ok, so I'm a bit unexperienced in this whole truck building thing im starting to get that but at the same time I'm also getting closer to getting this truck drivable so I can't stop now! I have a few questions for the wise folk on this forum.

1. I want to install a brake booster because I have a drum brake set up, so I want to give myself as much stopping power with ease as possible. Now what I am wondering is if I goto this set up what can a rob a brake booster off of in the junk yard? should it be just any chevy half ton with 4 bolt set up?

2. The corner brackets from the fender to the rad support, what are the dimensions of the holes or are they a slotted hole leaving room for adjustment? In need of measurement prior to fabbing these up.

3. For the 1968 truck are the fenders and grille gaped or spaced at all? or are they bolted up snug till the point of no gap?

4. What gas tanks have you guys used? I know there has been multiple topics on this but I'm looking for a inexpensive option with a decent capacity.

5. Since I'm doing this project on a tight budget I'm wondering if sound proofing is necessary I like the sound of motors but I hate the sound of rattling and rubbing is there a cheap option to this? i have seen carpets with jute padding for 300 locally. If I do it myself and buy carpet I was thinking the peel and seal with marine carpeting it would cost substantially less. Would this make it bearable for long trips?

6. Has anyone made any type of bed wood set up that isn't stock? maybe use flat bar and a pine instead of oak? More time consuming but it would run about 300 to do and I was thinking of putting metal maybe aluminum on the far sides, I've seen it done but not sure how may have to send a message off to a fellow member.

please help I'm getting pretty close to at least seeing what the finished product may look like! any help is appreciated!

Member of tailgate association of manitoba
Mr.Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: a few questions

Lets try to take the questions as you asked them
1. The booster off any 67-72 is a bolt-on, but the 73 up to mid 80's can be used with a bracket change. Even hydro boost adapter plates are for sale on this website from a guy named CAPTNFAB. He make a lot of great stuff for these trucks. It is even possible to mount the booster directly to the firewall to gain lots of room under hood and also clean up that area some.[ That is my plan on one maybe two of my trucks].
2. I don't have any measurements on those brackets but have some off out at the shop I might could dig out next week for you to get some readings from.
3. There should be gap on the fender hood area no matter what year model you have, if you don't have any you need to do some adjusting to find out why. This usually means that you have one or more collapsed body mount. Your gonna have to have those in and the body sitting up on the fresh stuff before those correct and vital adjustments can be made.
4.I haven't gotten that far in any of my projects yet but may use factory ranks in 2 of the 3 that I'm building. I am gonna try a S-10 Blazer tank at the rear of one of my trucks.
5.At the home improvement store there is a product called Brown Bread. It has a sticky back on one side and lots of guys use it on the inside of doors and I hear it makes them sound like a late model when they shut the doors, nice solid thud not the tin can rattly sound that we all have from loose latches. It also has no smell leftover inside the truck. Those guys say that they would put it up against the Dynomat and similar products at half the price.
6. As far as the bed wood goes it is up to you and the wood supplier guy and how much you can stand and what you want to spend. I've seen people use cabinet makers to cut their bed floors and use Pine all the way to super exotic stuff I've never heard of with something like purple heart something. So it is up to what you want. Good luck Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:02 AM   #3
Larry.sisk

Re: a few questions

Anyone have pics of the brake booster mounted directly to the firewall and a short explanation of what had to be done , that sticking out and that proportional vale just bug the s#%¥ out of me.
Larry.sisk is offline   Reply With Quote